10 bolt rear help? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

i now have a 10 bolt in the rear of my 69 camaro. i am not sure if its the origional rearend or not! how do i identify if its an 8.5 or 8.2 carrier. is there a way to do this without taking it apart? i would like to put a auburn limited slip in it and change the gears to about 3:55 or so. i would like to buy the parts and then when i have them all start working on it. i cant have the car down for an extended amount of time because i drive it every day to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 03:43 PM
Tech Team

if I'm not mistaken, first gen camaros never came with a 8.5 inch 10bolt. Only 2nd gen or later. I'm not positive tho.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 03:54 PM

Yes, you can make the assumption it's an 8.2.
The 8.2 was used in the 1970 10 bolt as well. In 1971 the corparate rear end debuted, which was a 8.5" ring gear.

The center section of your rear should have the casting # of 3894859NF.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech

last spring, i took the 8.2 out of my 71 nova and put in a 8.5 out of a 73 nova..made sure to note external differences. what i noticed was that the 8.5 had "ears" on the bottom of the centersection that were parallel to the ground..the 8.2 just had rounded corners. just look under the car from the rear, and if it is flat on the bottom, it is an 8.5. i checked other cars at local boneyard-french lake auto parts( www.frenchlakeautoparts.com ),and all the newer 8.5 equipped vehicles back this find up.hope this helps..

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 05-20-2001).]
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 04:43 PM
Tech Team

Be careful assuming it's an 8.2" just because that's stock for your car...after 30+ years, you never know what someone might have swapped in. Just one more possible telltale sign...the 8.2" 10 bolts had an upside down "V" stamped into the cover to assist with oil distribution. It's pretty distinctive, so you should be able to tell...

------------------
1976 Type LT Restification (in progress)

1968 2 door sport coupe...wife's car!

The Monday Nite Car Club! (New site)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 04:46 PM

The 8.5 does have the ears on it and also the cover has a distinct bulge running vertically on it. Also check the numbers located on the passenger side axle tube.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Red face

i havent had time to check it out yet but lets assume its a 8.2, who makes a limmited slip for it? everywhere i look things are for the 8.5 or 12 bolts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 05:18 AM
Tech Team

Vtec,
If you go to www.noveresource.com they have a good description of the differences between an 8.2 and 8.5. Check the "axle" section.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 05:20 AM
Tech Team

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 05:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vtec:
[Bassume its a 8.2, who makes a limmited slip for it? .[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Auburn gear is currently the on co. that makes an 8.2 for 3:08 and &gt;.. recently replaced my 3:08 with 3:55 richmond gear, and Auburn Gear posi differential. Initailly it worked great ( W/ std gear oil and posi lube) for about 1 month ( got noisey when cornering). Then replaced the gear oil w/ red line Synthetic gear lube w/ one bottle of posi (gm) posi lube). Runs great and no more noise @ &gt; 3mos.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 09:16 AM
Tech Team

Joe Clance,
I have 2.73 gears. I guess that means I have a 2 series carrier. Does anyone make 3.55 gears for this? Can I put a 3 series carrier in?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 12:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kknapp433:
Joe Clance,
I have 2.73 gears. I guess that means I have a 2 series carrier. Does anyone make 3.55 gears for this? Can I put a 3 series carrier in?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as the intended gear used is 3:08 or greater, you should be fine w/ series 3. Check w/ auburn beFore purchasing, they cost in the neighborhood of $300.00 and the richmond 3:55 gear set is approx $200.00.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

knapp,

thanx for all the help, i found that my rear was made in 1967,is an 8.2 and has 3.08 open gears. now i know what i have and what i need to get. again thanx a million! vtec
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I can get you a US Gear Torq Line posi for the 8.2. It is a copy of the original Eaton posi used by GM. It is a better unit than the Auburn. Cost is $350 plus shipping. Do you have any experience setting up a ring & pinion? Do you know how to set the pinion depth, backlash, bearing preload and read a contact patern? If you don't then you probably need to find someone who does, otherwise you may trash the new gears.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode