upgrading a 200-4R - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 350TH in my 67. It's is a daily driver so I would like to get an OD tranny.
I want to put in a 200-4R. Does anyone know how much HP it can handle? What upgrades do I need to get it to handle between 450 to 500 HP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 10:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

If you can find one out of an 86-87 Grand National it should hold up. I had an 86 GN running 12.50's with the stock trans. The GN's got extra clutches and a larger servo. They also have the composite bolt pattern to fit a Chevy.

Performance Transmission in Sacramento built the 2004R I have in my 72 Camaro. They claim 700 h.p. but they change virtually everything; the drum is the weak link. The 2004R's from the rest of the cars are a little weaker than the GN's although getting them to handle 450 h.p. or so isn't too bad. Beyond that it get's expensive but it can be done.

Jody
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

I agree with Cam. I have a friend building a 475 ft-lb Pontiac 400 and I'm trying to talk him into the 200r4.

These trannys are underrated, I think.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Camcojb:

Thanks Camcojb. Besides the drum being the weak link, what other things should I change to get up to 500 HPs? Are you saying the GN tranny can do it?
Jody[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 10:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Are you going to be running slicks? I would guess that my GN had app. 450 h.p. The trans was stock. I ran M/T Sportsmen Pro's with mid 1.60's for the 60' time, so it left fairly hard; mid 12.50's-12.60's. I never hurt the trans and I was out there every week to test the changes I was doing to the car. At an honest 500 h.p. you're probably at the breaking point; if you're running street tires you'll probably be fine. You might call Bruce at Performance Trans. to see what is the next upgrade/price.

(916) 739-0510
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 12:58 PM

The real weak link in this trans. is the pump. You need to at least have hardened rings in the pump. Also this trans. has a lockup converter and it needs to work to have proper cooler flow. There is a lot of upgrades you can do to this trans., but it should be done by a professional. I am a transmission rebuilder, if you have any questions, problems, etc. you can e-mail me directly, I'll try to help you out any way I can. Mike
[email protected]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Camcojb:

Thanks Camcojb,

I have only about 450 HP, but I wanted to know how much room I had in case wanted to add nitro or and HP increase. So it sound like 200-4R is enough for me for now. When I can afford more HP, I can afford to upgrade the tranny.

I'm supprised 12.50 is your time with 450 HP and slicks, I would have expected better. Could I expect more with my camaro with all else equal? (I have 3.25 gears)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 11:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I was guessing about 450 h.p. I don't know for sure. I didn't run slicks, I ran the Sportsmen Pro's. A Grand National is definitely heavier than a Camaro. I could only leave with about 5 lbs. of boost or it would fry the tires. In reality it could have probably run low 12's and with a perfect chassis maybe high 11's but this was a heavy stock chassis car with sway bars, etc; definitely not set-up for drag racing. As it was a lot of people got pissed off by being beat by a V-6. It had only bolt-ons; the valve covers had never been removed; stock cam, etc.

Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 08-17-2000).]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 12:45 PM
Banned

I looked into an At Carr 200-R4 to go behind my 497. Art said he could build one for around $1800.00 plus the converter. He said that it would be good for 800hp and plenty of torque.
I want to "row the gears" so am staying with my M-20 Muncie until I "blow it". I really want a "reasonably priced" 5 speed high torque trans, but I'm "kinda poor", like the wife and kids need stuff too. pdq67

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 01:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Art Carr buys his drums and other specialty parts from Performance Trans. I was going to buy from Art Carr but since Bruce makes some of the parts that Art uses to handle the high h.p. I just bought it from the source. Kinda pricey though, huh?

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode