Cowl Induction - Is it working properly??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

How do I know if the cowl induction on my car is working properly? The only time I have seen the flaps move is when i first try to start the car. I'm I just being a pussy with the car or what !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 02:51 PM
Tech Team

You need to troubleshoot the circuit. First check to see if the switch mounted on the accelerator arm is in position and adjusted. Mine was busted and the retainer clip was missing. Have someone floor the gas pedal WITH THE ENGINE OFF and see if the switch is contacting the firewall. If it is, pull off the plug to the switch and check with an ohm meter to see if the two terminals on the switch go from open to shorted when the pedal is pressed. If so, your switch is adjusted and working. Thats a good place to start. If that looks ok, turn the key on WITH THE ENGINE OFF , disconnect the connector going into the hood to the solenoid and have someone mash the pedal WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Check to see if there is 12 volts on that connector. If you do, the system is working correctly and the solenoid is probably bad. If not you may have a bad relay, which should be on the firewall a few inches to the right of the heater core. You should also check the connections at the fuse box where the system gets the 12 volts. If it's a factoy system the harness should penetrate the firewall just above the fuse box and have two connectors that plug into the fuse side of the box. Good luck, let us know what you find.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech
Joel

If it works on the first start its because you are pushing it to the floor to set the choke.Turn the key in the on position and shove the gas pedal to the floor and see if it opens.If it dosent open then jacksz28 has the best idea and a great description of the next process.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 00, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks guys for the great info. I will try the trouble shooting this weekend and get back to you. Mike
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I was in the same situation where I couldn't hear the thing actuate when I stomped on the pedal. Turns out the plastic switch housing was worn and had slipped out of adjustment. I could reach into the engine compartment and press the switch and sure enough the solenoid would kick in. This is done with the ignition key on and engine off. However when I pressed the pedal it would not hit the switch. I fixed this by reseating the switch and adjusting it for about 3/4 full throttle. Warning: The first time I manually pressed the switch I almost hit my head on the hood when I jerked up from the abrupt noise of the solenoid. When reaching in your ear is very close to the mechanism.
Mark
69Z28

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode