Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Can anyone tell me what AC or Autolite plug matches up to NGK UR5's? I have currently been running Autolite 26's except in #7 which had the NGK in it. I have slant plug heads and the autolite couldn't be tightened, the NGK is shorter and was a quick fix. Well now that I have headers the Autolites are too long for several of the other cyl's. The NGK's should do the trick but if AC or Autolite makes a short plug in the same range I would just as soon use them...

Maybe I should get over using a Made in Japan plug and use the NGK's, the color is a bit lighter (tan even) than the Autolite's which are a medium brown...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 07:21 PM
David Pozzi

Dennis, the NGK catalog should have a crossover listing at the back. You just need to find the catalog!
Accell used to make a short plug too.
If you can put the plug in but can't get a wrench on it, try an offset box end wrench. You can even grind a slot in the end to get it on. That would make it similar to a flare nut wrench except 12 point and with the offset end it will get into the depression in the head to get to the plug.
Are these 5/8" or 13/16" wrench size?

and take a look here: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/index.asp
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 05-20-2001).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 11:10 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Arrow

DJD......i'm using an accel shorty plug,576S....there are a little shorter than the bosch HR9AC i was useing.....the bosch is shorter than the NGK i think.i still have to put a asbesto's boot on 3 plugs.
angle plugs can be a pain!!

are you having problems on the new dougs headers you just bought with the plugs???

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Not yet! I only have the driver side on and the NGK look like they will fit. I haven't tightened everything up or put the boots on as I only have 1 NGK plug. I need to remove a section of exhaust pipe to get the passanger side on. Maybe tonight!!

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Ray

- Just a note, I read a post here recently, I think in Engine & Drivetrain, where quite a few there proclaimed NGK as a very good or even the best plug they've used.

- The best trick for tightening plugs that are hard to get a socket on is to take a normal 1/2" drive spark plug socket and use a cutoff wheel or side grinder to cut off one to two inches from the end. Slide the socket over the plug and use a box end wrench to tighten the socket. The plug will stick out the back of the socket through the 1/2" drive hole. The shorter socket will slide off even with headers directly behind the plug. This is the only way I can change some of my plugs, but its so easy, I use it on all of them.

I've used this trick for years and thought I was the only one doing it. I thought about patenting the idea until I read a tip in one of the magazines from Mark Steilow about it. But my way is even easier than he described. He described using 3/8" drive socket and drilling out the end. If you just start with a 1/2" drive you won't need to drill the end.

The amount to cut off depends on your heads and headers. Try a little at a time until it is short enough that it will slide on and off of every plug. But if your plugs are recessed into the head, don't cut so much that you can't get the wrench on it without it hitting the head.

PS: A normal circular saw with a metal cutting blade works great for this or any other metal cutting where a straight cut is needed. (Pipe, plate, angle iron, etc.)

I hope this tip helps someone,

------------------
Ray

68 SS Convertible
Corvette(77) Yellow
383 DFI Fuel Injection
on MiniRamII intake,
Trick Flow heads
700R4, 3.31 12bolt Posi
Guildstrand Mod
AGR 12:1 power steering

[This message has been edited by 68SSConvt (edited 05-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 68SSConvt (edited 05-21-2001).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Good tip Ray!! I went with the NGK's at $1.75 or so each... I let my mind work on a tool for sparkplugs today and came up with something I think is interesting. Basically a 6 sided thinwall sleeve that is about 1 1/2" long with a dogbone like ratchet attached that slides on the sleeve. Works very much like your idea Ray... I had a motorcycle with a plug wrench much like the sleeve I described... If it shows up on the market do I own the copy rights now???

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 05:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DjD:
I let my mind work on a tool for sparkplugs today and came up with something I think is interesting.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Save your time.I have a partially open 5/8 - 11/16 wrench that is offset enough to slide over the open portion over the insulator of the plug, and (from up top) reach the wrench under the header space and loosen or tighten as desired. You won't even get dirty. As you know, all you have to do is maybe losen or tighten less than 1/2 turn, then do the rest by hand. So this wrench works and is commercially available.
Interested?....................................... .................................................. ......................................MFG BONNEY part # RF53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode