Ignition switch lock tumbler - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 00, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Another question.....

How do you remove the lock tumbler from a 67 ignition switch? I want to rekey my locks in my car since I lost my good set of keys and am now left with a crappy copy set. My service manual says that you are supposed to insert a wire in the small hole and turn the key to the accessory position. I tried this, but I can't turn the key to the accessory position, as my ignition key copy doesn't work very well and won't go into the accessory position. What do I need to do?

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 00, 07:26 PM
Tech Team

Keep trying and dont insert the wire till the ignition is in the far left or accessory position then insert the wire and continue turning left and the tumbler will come out Good luck Garry If all else fails remove entire switch and bring it to a locksmith.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 04:39 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Like Gary said, turn the switch to the ACCY position, and then insert a fairly stout paper clip in the hole, push down on the paper clip at the same time turn the cylinder and it will come out.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 04:43 PM
Rich253

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ragtopman:
Like Gary said, turn the switch to the ACCY position, and then insert a fairly stout paper clip in the hole, push down on the paper clip at the same time turn the cylinder and it will come out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it still won't slide out when you get it to the point described by ragtop, while holding the key in that position, start unscrewing the bezel. The lip of the bezel will catch the tumbler and draw it out.
Rich

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys for the helpful suggestions, but I can't get my key to go to the accessory position. I tried unscrewing the bezel but it caught the lock plunger and wouldn't come off. What would you suggest I do? Should I resort to trying to force the bezel off?

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 00, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech

sorry to not post sooner. I have been gone a day or two. I also just removed the tumbler from my 67 and this is the technique I found worked best.
-
Yes, the key must be turned to the ACCY position before inserting the clip.
-I have found that most people will tell you to insert the paper clip and turn past the ACCY position. At first when I did this, I couldn't get it to turn past and release.
-What I found was that the pin you push with the paper clip will actually push deeper than the rest of the housing which lets the paper clip slide in too far--the key will not turn past this point because the clip is now restraining the cylinder.
-If you are having trouble turning like I did, allow the clip to move back out slightly while turning. This allows it to reach a point where the factory pin is depressed enough to allow the cylinder to turn and the clip is out enough to not snag on the housing. It is a smooth combination of letting out slightly while turning.
--
--
This is what works for me--my car likes doing things the hard way.

LH

[This message has been edited by backfire (edited 12-14-2000).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the help guys!!

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode