Mechanical or Electric choke, which one works best? Which one do you prefer and why? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 00, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a Holley carb and was wondering which choke set up works the best? Mechanical or electric. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

On the electric, I've heard of different way to hook up the power source. Where is the best place to tap the power source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 12:40 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

A Electric Choke is the only way to go! I used a key on only power source in my fuse box on my 67!

------------------
johnny
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech

I agree......electric is the only way to go. I also tapped one of the switched power sources at the fuse box in my 67.

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 03:55 AM
Senior Tech

Go electric. The disadvantage of a mechanical choke is that they can hang up if not lubricated occassionally.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 12-12-2000).]
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 04:17 AM
Team Member
John

Have used Holleys with electric chokes on many projects over the years, and they work great! Just make sure you connect the choke to a full 12-volt (key-on) source so the heating coil gets full voltage so it'll choke properly and then open all the way. Don't connect it to the coil (+) terminal, as that's not a 12-volt source. Take a feed from the fuse block so the circuit is protected.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

OK, So I'm the only one who likes the manual choke? I prefer the manual because once my engine fires, I take the choke off within 15 seconds and keep the revs at 1500 with the gas pedal until it warms up. I run my motor on the rich side and being able to knock off the choke early seems to keep my plugs nicer. When I first set up the motor and left the choke on for a few minutes, I noticed alot of carbon on the plugs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 00, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech

Ratpack, you can adjust electric chokes to come off as soon or as late as you want. Then you don't have to hold your foot on the gas pedal.

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 02:39 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

That's true, but that choke action is creating a richer mixture by not having the choke flap wide open.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 02:46 AM
Senior Tech

Whats a choke?? Must be for those places where it gets cold.

Hey Pete, do you have a choke???

LOL

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech

Ratpack, Why do you think that the electric choke flap isn't wide open?? They work the same, its just a matter of where the choke gets its heat source from and are fully adjustable as to how much and how fast you want it to open. To each his own as its preference to what someone would like. There is no wrong answer. Personally I like electric as its simple and hassle free and much easier to hook up. However with electric make sure your radio is wired to a lead that is always hot so you don't have to have the key on to listen to it otherwise as your at a party or working on your car with the radio on but the engine off the choke will be open
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech

What choke?? I took a bridgeport milling machine to my choke horn on my 700CFM double pump. Electric chokes work great though... Like everyone said, pull the elect. feed from the fuse box...but make sure it is not on the accy circuit, (like what the radio uses)So you don't heat the coil when all you want to do is listen to the stereo (with the key turned back to the accy circuit.
best of luck
John
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech

Is there any reason hooking it to the hot side of the ignition would be a bad idea (including on HEI)? How much current does it draw?

That way you've got juice only when the ignition is on (but not in accessory position), and, in the case of the HEI, the supply is right there near the carb.

Any thoughts?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 03:12 PM
Team Member
John

With a conventional coil ignition, you don't want to take the feed for the choke from the coil (+) terminal, as that's not a 12 volt source - that terminal is fed through either a ballast resistor or a resistance wire in the engine harness, which supplies about 5 volts to the coil in the "run" position - it only sees 12 volts when the starter is cranking and the resistance circuit is temporarily bypassed.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 00, 04:29 AM
Senior Tech

Any other issues??

The HEI is supplied with 12v continuously, though your point is certainly valid for most points type ignitions. Is the HEI the only common ignition out there that uses 12v continuously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode