Anyone used complete door shells for 1st gen? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Has anyone used the new complete door shells I'm seeing in most of the catalogs now. What does it mean by "complete". Will everything I have on my existing doors come off an be transfered to the new ones?
My 68 needs skins and my body man pointed out a good bit of rust at the bottom that he said he could fix by welding on pieces and leading them. He said they would be as good as new but also said I would probably save $$ if the new shells fit OK but he wasn't sure about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 03:21 PM

I would like to know the same info....I need a lt door and I'm not sure if I should hold out for a oem or just go with the a/m
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 03:13 AM
Senior Tech

I just purchased the "New" convertible rear quarter and "New" complete door shell for my 69. They are OUTSTANDING body panels. The restoration shop that is doing the body on my car was shocked when the parts arrived. They stated that they are every bit as clean and crisp as NOS panels, and after seeing them being fitted to the car, I tend to agree. The door shell will accept everything out of your old door. I purchased mine from Classic Industries. Cost makes a good case to consider purchasing these. An NOS quarter will cost you $1200-$1500 easy, and an NOS door...Good Luck, you might as well re-mortgage your house right now. Tortal cost of both Quarter and Door about $800 Bucks.

Jeff

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Jeff, Have they bolted up the door yet? I've heard someone was going to start producing quarters for convertibles for 69. I need to find out if they are going to 68. Were they made by Goodmark?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech

Yes, the door has been bolted up and "pre" fitted to the car, but not painted yet. The "eyebrow" bodyline from the fender to the door lines up perfectly, the metal is appears to be the same gage as the other door (orig).
I am not sure who acutally produces the Quarters, but Classic Sells them. It must be a new die though, as the radius are crisp, and the panel is pretty much straight as an arrow, no ripples or any disortions to speak of. I am a very satisfied customer. Well worth the $$.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech

Oh yeah, The quarter was the new Full, with door jamb and trunk area stamped in the panel. I checked my latest catalog, but they only list the 69 convertible quarters, no 68's Just the 68 coupe, which you could use with some modification.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode