What are these things?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a 68 conv. that is right now in the body shop about ready to be painted. I am having the front bumper done away with, "I'm going for that clean look" and as they were taking off the bumper mounting brackets, they pulled out these canister things from inside the front wheel wells. The things are about the size of a large can of tomatos and weigh about 30 pounds or so. Is this some type of crash absorber? I woundered if these canisters contain a big spring? Has anyone out there messed with these things? Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 03:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
They are called Cocktail Shakers. There is one in each corner of the convert. I believe It puts weight out on the corners to help keep the car from sagging in the middle. There are 2 coil springs holding a weight in the center of it and it is full of oil. True Rocket Science.

[This message has been edited by clill (edited 08-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by clill (edited 08-17-2000).]
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 04:34 AM
Kevin

Draayer, the "cocktail shakers" were put there (1 on each corner) to reduce the vibration (I think at highway speed)that occured on the conv due to the lack of body stiffness (a.k.a no roof) A lot of people take them off for weight reasons, but they were put there for a reason. Whether you can feel the difference without them is a test that you can try, just don't throw them away, they can be pricy to replace. Good Luck, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I am working on it!)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Can you picture a conv. going over some rail road tracks with a rise in it and not haveing the weights in it? You need to put them back in, you also should of found 2 more in the trunk.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech

As car companies, especially in the 60's, tended to not put things in cars unless they had to, I would be hesitent to remove the "cocktail shakers". As has been said the shakers, as well as the extra x-member on the center tunnel, make up, or attempt to make up, for the lack of body stiffness because of the lack of a roof.

I had not heard the vibration piece but it makes sense if you think about the exotic content of the devices. I always thought they were just full of oil.

------------------
Mark M.
Red 67 Convertible
Red Deluxe Interior
383/Tremec 5 Speed
4 Wheel Disk
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Ever bounce one lightly on the floor? You can feel the spring inside them and they are filled with ATF(dont ask me what kind, besides Im not going to put type F in my Chev.)

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 03:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

There's a block of metal in them along with about 1 qt 2 oz of ATF to dampen vibration. The convertibles can use the help. Better yet, would be some welded subframe connectors and stiff(er) body mounts. I use solid ones from Global West.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 04:31 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Thanks! I always wondered what those things were... Never bothered to research them becasue they fell into the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" category.

------------------
My RS Conv. 1
My RS Conv. 2
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for all the replys, a couple of things I didn't mention. I now have a 396 BB in the car so as far as weight I think I have enough, also have completely gone through the suspension, and as for support I have some sub frame connectors already to be installed.. With these changes am I OK to leave the shakers out?? Thanks again for the replys.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 04:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
The big block won't help things because most of it's weight is behind the front axle. The problem with convert.s is that when you go over bumps they tend to sag between the axles from all the weight there. The Cocktail Shakers outside the axles in the farthest corners attempt to counter-act the car trying to sag in the middle. With good subframe connectors and the center floor brace you should be OK though.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Adding the big block doesnt reduce the need for them, the big block convertibles had them too. And they also had all new suspension.
Ron

------------------
95 Z28 Convertible M6
70 Chevelle SS 396,
66 Nova SS 327 M21
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 04:50 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
My '69 Camaro Factory Assembly Manual call them "Body Dampeners". A side note 1.25 gals of auto trans fluid is what it takes to fill them.

Subframe connectors will stiffen but don't provide dampening to the body. I think the more you do to stiffen the subframe and suspension you might find you need the dampeners even more. By removing the roof you have reduced body ridgety as well as the overall ridgety of the frame. The cross brace replaced the strength provided by the roof and the shakers keep the four coners from vibrating...

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 11:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Yes, the GM manual does call for 1.25 gallons. However, it is a typo as I had one that leaked and, after the repair, it took a bit less than 1.25 quarts. A gallon container is larger than the dampner!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
And you should change that oil every 15,000 miles.......Just kidding.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 05:05 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I've been doing mine every 3000!!! Just thought it best to match the rotation schedule... Anyone know which is best cross rotation or front to back?

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 08-18-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode