Need advice on buying 67-69 camaro.... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I currently own a 68 Mustang, and am considering selling it for a camaro. I am not familiar with the older camaros, and need to know how they are priced. What is a good deal and what isn't? What to look for, etc. I bought the Mustang cause, at the time, camaros seemed out of my reach. Now I can get my hands on one, and I am going to do it. If you can look at this car...
http://www.jakesforgottenpast.com/040501cam69.htm

Please tell me how this should be priced, and if bought, would it be difficult to freshen up...This pic is really just something for me to guage how I should look at a camaro and know what it is worth. Shoot, I might even get this one.

Thanks for any help...

Sorry for the long post....

RJ

[This message has been edited by camaroNewbie (edited 05-21-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech

In Texas (anyway) you can do a LOT better than that for nearly $4G. Check out he ads at https://camaros.net/ads/index.shtml
rick
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech

From the photos,It needs total restoration.Looks like it had a vinyl top,probably rusty at windshield & rear glass,and panel between window & trunk.The price doesn,t sound all that bad,If its a solid car. The A/C & P/S, P/B is a plus.If you have the money you can buy one already redone for less than you can restore this car,You should be able to buy a very nice base Camaro ready to have fun in for around
10 grand or so.But if you are a do it your selfer on a budget,building it a little at a time this car could be the way to go,Im restoring a 69 SS and I,ll have around 15.000 or so in it when its done.Probably could buy one for less,but i,ll know what i have when done.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
55 Belair Sedan Pro Street 355 auto 9''

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rick:
In Texas (anyway) you can do a LOT better than that for nearly $4G. Check out he ads at https://camaros.net/ads/index.shtml
rick
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So where do I look for them in Texas? I have tried traderonline.com, and other sources, but haven't found many in Tx.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech

We've got a bunch of links Here. also try the newspapers listed here: http://chevelles.com/hotdeals.shtml Do a web search for the "Dallas Morning News" they list a lot of classics too.
ras
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
John

check the newspapers for big cities in your area. You can get a Camaro in much better condition for that kind of money. I found mine in the Washington Post classifieds. It had a great, no rust body, a few years old paint job, and best of all... it ran and was driveable. All this for the price of the one you mentioned earlier.

With a limited budget and wanting a car for a driver rather than a rare car to show, I would go for a base model coupe. The six cylinder models can easily be changed to V8 power if you desire too. Look for a solid body first and foremost (no rust!), and try to get a car that is in driveable condition unless you know enough or want to spend enough to get it into driveable condition. The base coupes can be found for decent prices, but when you start talking Z28, convertibles, RS or SS Camaros people want much more money for a car in the same condition.

Here is a disclaimer... nothing against Z's, SS's, RS's or convertibles, they are great. Just stating that if you don't necessarily want this option, don't pay extra for it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Exclamation

With all due respect, Camaro prices in Texas can be outrageous! Most cars here that have a good body and drivetrain sell for at least $8,000 (plain jane model). Add air, power brakes and power steering etc. and the price jumps to over $10,000.

I wish it were otherwise, but the days of cheap and plentiful First Generation Camaros are long gone. Everyone who owns one knows they are valuable (gold) and if you don't want to buy it someone else WILL!

When I was looking for my car I asked the same question you did camaroNewbie, and was given the following advice (it was good then and is still good now):

Buy the best car you can afford! (unless you really want to restore a car from scratch...but be prepared to wait several years to drive it).

Body work is very expensive so get the best bodied car you can afford...motors and trannys are relatively cheap and available.

Every car will need something replaced, repaired or touched up sooner or later. Ask yourself how much work and what type of work you can do or are willing to learn how to do before you buy.

Don't buy the first car you see. Look at, drive and inspect several cars before you decide. Ask a lot of questions about each car. Look at everything (undercarriage, inside the trunk, under the dash, etc.) so you KNOW what kind of car you are buying.

Check the trim tag numbers to verify that the car really is what it apears to be.

I looked for almost a year before buying my RS Camaro (and that was fast by most standards!).

Good luck and welcome to Camaro Tech!

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 05-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 05-23-2001).]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech

Choptop, I second that! Prices in Texas have been inflated!

CamaroNewbie - you've taken the right first step in selling the Mustang! I'm prepared to take some flake for saying this, but it's cheaper to buy a restored car. I know that it's more gratifying to build a car yourself. If you're in no hungry and have the time and want a project, buy a car from the Southwest, where the air is dry to limit rust and rot. Try www.traderonline.com
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

Make that "hurry" NOT "hungry!" My mind's on food!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech

stay away from that one....u can get alot nicer car for about the same money...look around
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech

Whether buying a Camaro, Mustang, Cuda, whatever, buy the most COMPLETE, RUST FREE car in the best condition you can afford. Buying lots of individual parts as opposed to restoring what you have, and fixing rust will eat you alive. A stripped rusty plain jane will end up costing you dang near what a restored 396 RS/SS would have run - or more. Be patient and set high standards, you will find a good car for your money if you take your time.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech

There are deals to be had here in Texas, you just have to look around, be patient, and more often than not, just be plain lucky. I just ran across this one this morning for $3500.00, go check it out......KZ http://www.collectorcartraderonline....l.html?9199436

[This message has been edited by kz1000ltd (edited 05-23-2001).]
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech

My best advise is to decide what u want to start with and get price range in your head and then look around till u find what u want to start with... The best place I have found to look is a web site www.traderonline.com It is a great place to see what the going market is and u will find a great ariety of cars in all conditions. I found and bought my car of off there and I really think I stole it!!! I got an origional 69 Rally Sport with a 350 and a 350 trans with a straight body and a cawl induction hood for only $8,000 The car had a brand new interrior and it was my fav color (Red)w/ silver stripes to boot. If u would like to see a pic let me know... some trouble areas in first gen camaros are the real windows and the winshields they are nortorous for rust and vinal tops are also very bad for rust .. The top holds in the moisture like a sponge! Good luck and i am sure u will find ur dream car I did!!!

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 03:38 PM

Way to go dude loose that stang and get a real ride CAMARO! I bought a 69 with near mint interior and only needed minor body work for 3500.$ That car looks pretty rough! Keep lookin something will come along check big city papers like others said also check hemmings motor news. good luck and happy hunting Tony Riva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode