How can I tell if its a true Z? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

I know someone selling what they claim to be a 68 Z28. It lacks the original engine, so how can I tell if its a true Z?

I know they came with 4 spd., posi, power disc brakes, special springs (leaf?). I've also heard there is a hole cut in the firewall for the cowl induction air cleaner. I havent seen it yet so does anyone have any tips?

(If my wife finds out I'm looking at another Camaro, I'm a dead man... I think I hear her coming.... gotta go!)

------------------
My RS Conv. 1
My RS Conv. 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech

The hole in the fire wall is for a cowl plenum air cleaner, very rare, most likely it would not have one. It would be located above the heater box, and rectangular in shape. Does it have gauges? If so what is the redline of the tach? There are other ways but I am not 100% sure what they are so I won't speculate, better no information than bad information. Good luck.

Steve R.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 05:49 PM
Tech Team

On the driver's side of the firewall, there's a plate rivited to the car. It's about the size of a credit card and if you get the information off of there, there is a good chance that you can tell by that. I'm not sure on some of the codes for 68, i usu work with 69s, but someone correct me if i'm wrong; the x33 or x77 code on the trim tag confirms a true z28. also a 3/8 dia fuel line was used on hi po camaros and look for dual exhaust hangers and multi-leaf springs.

------------------
Joel
1969 Z28
LeMans Blue-White Stripes
#'s matching, P-O-P

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 06:40 PM

Smile

If you don't have the build sheet or some other paper work that traces the car to the original owner , you'll have a hard time selling it as an original when it comes time to sell.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 07:18 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Wheels should be 15X6, Power front disks were also part of the minimum Z package. Also rear springs are 4 leaf if my memory serves me correctly. X codes were a '69 thing, shelby got the Z ones right though. Gauges were options. You could get a Z without posi but it was recommended.

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 00, 08:42 PM
Senior Tech

From what I recall the x33 and x77 codes were for 69 Norwood cars.

Steve R.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

off the subject, but i thought the fresh air intake (air cleaner attached to firewall), was only offered in 67 ?
am i thinking correctly ?

bruce
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 01:02 AM
Tech Team

The wheels could have been changed, but look in the glove box for tire pressure info. If the sticker looks to be 32 year vintage and shows E70 x 15 for tire size, that's a good indicator. I preserved my original when refurbing the dash. Look for a 12 bolt rear too.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 03:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Bruce,

It was a $79 more for the Plenum air. I don't think it was available all year though...

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Thanks all!

SteveR - What would that redline number be on the tach?

shelbyz28 - Didnt know about the 3/8 dia. fuel line, I'll check it out.

Bruce - Was the Plenum intake for Z's only, or was it available on any Camaro?

I'll ignore the x code thing as it sounds like it applies to 69 cars only.

Any other ideas or hints would be great!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech

The cowl plenum air cleaner was available in 67 and 68 but like Dennis says it may not have been available all year. They came in the trunk so it may have never even been installed if it even came with one. I would love one of those air cleaners but they are so rare and they will probably never reproduce them. That would probably be the only repro part I would buy. Anyway look for matching number Muncie with the vin stamped into it even though it wouldn't make it a Z but at least the numbers matching trans. Muncie speedo cable routing was different. Look for tire sticker like jacksz28 mentions. Cowl tag does nothing to help verify any options in 68 except paint and interior. X codes are 69 Norwood only and only after a certain date I don't know off the top of my head. I think September sometime. Dual piston front disk brakes should be there. Doesn't have to have tach or guages. 68 is by far the hardest to verify. Good luck and let us know!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

We've already done the work. See http://www.camaros.org/diffs68.shtml for the list of Z features.

Tire pressure sticker is a key thing to check. Also check the axle and trans stamped #'s. (See 'Decoding' on the CRG site for the locations.)

You can post the trim tag, VIN, and any codes you find on Tag Team and we'll tell you what the deal is.

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 00, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech

If it has a tach it would have a 6K redline, to be correct.

Steve R.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 01:23 PM

No way to be 100% without the build sheet, or original documents, but there's a good chance if it has; 4 speed, 4 leaf rear springs, 15" wheels, 6K redline tick tock tach, 12 bolt, and paint stripes over spoiler stop befor the trunk deck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode