10 bolt rear end questions - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

just dropped the rear end out of my 69 camaro
and it appears to be a 10 bolt out of a 77 camaro,with 3.08 gears, not a posi. The gears look good, like they havent been used much at all. This is just what my friend has told me, but i really dont know much about rear ends. I have a few questions.
1. I really want a posi, is there any way to make it a posi, and is it worth it or should i just buy a posi rear end
2. This is going to be a daily driver, but i also want it to have some kickass so are 3.08 gears good for this purpose?
3. Is there somewhere i could just buy a complete new posi rear end?

any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 05:17 PM
Rich253

Steve,
I can't help with questions 1 or 3. In fact, I would like to know those answers myself, I hope someone has them.
As far as question 2, I have a 67 daily driver with 3.08's If you don't have an overdrive tranny, then your RPM's at 70mph are probably around 2700 aren't they? If you were to go to 3.73's your RPM's at 70mph would jump to about 3400. For me, that's not the stuff of a daily driver. I think 3.08's are kind of a good balance between daily driver and kick-***, as you put it.
I recently installed a 5 speed with a .68 5th gear ratio. Now I am considering a deeper rear gear, although 70mph is now only 2000 rpm. I get about 20mpg at 70mph!
Rich
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Here are my thoughts on your questions....

1.) Yes, you can make it a posi by swapping out the open carrier with a posi carrier (~$400).
2.) I think a 3.08 is an ok gear for drivability...but it will be a little "boggy".
3.) You can take your rearend housing and parts to a shop for the changeout....or try an find a complete unit somewhere. Good luck finding one cheap...

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry(updated 8/14/00)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 00, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the help guys. My friend and i looked through it some more and it appears that the gears are fine but the carrier is damaged, so i will take it to a shop here in town and have a posi carrier put in, and just use the 3.08 gears for now. Later on when i have more money to spend on gas I'll stick in some 3.73s. The fact that I'm only 16 has put a bit of a limit on my budget for these things
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 06:53 AM
Tech Team

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SteveTheCamaroGuy:
Thanks for the help guys. My friend and i looked through it some more and it appears that the gears are fine but the carrier is damaged, so i will take it to a shop here in town and have a posi carrier put in, and just use the 3.08 gears for now. Later on when i have more money to spend on gas I'll stick in some 3.73s. The fact that I'm only 16 has put a bit of a limit on my budget for these things <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>IF ITS A LATER 10 BOLT YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS FINDING A POSI UNIT HOWEVER FOR THE UNLUCKY WHO HAVE THE EARILER 10 BOLT, IT APPEARS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GET POSI ACTION IS TO JUST BUY A LOCKER UNIT. I AM HAPPY WITH THE POWERTRAX UNIT I INSTALLED ALBEIT A LITTLE HUM ON THE HIGHWAY.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 09:24 AM

Get the gears now!!! It is only 125-150 more for the gears. But, get some 350s in stead of 373s.

------------------
Mr. D
1968 RS SS Camaro
1973 RS LT Z28 Camaro
1972 454 Elcamino
1999 Firebird T/A WS-6

[This message has been edited by Mr. D (edited 08-23-2000).]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 00, 03:37 AM

Lightbulb

Hey man go to the neareast junkyard and find a Trans Am they almost all came with posi. I had a 75 T/A with the orignal 3.66 posi. They will run about $500.00 rebuilt (in Ga.) or if you pull it about $200.00. If you pull it dont tell them its a posi they sometimes charge more. Good Luck
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 10:16 AM

SteveTheCamaroGuy,
The second gen F-body rearends are wider than first. It is likely you have a rearend out of a Nova, (Same width) Early 10 bolts were 8.2" ring gear, while 70+ came with 8.5". The 8.5 are a much better rearend, they can withstand alot more than the 8.2" I think it was Chevy Performance that did an aticle a few months ago. Ill see if I can find the info if you would like it. If you have the 8.5" ring gear, finding a posi should be no problem, since GM was still using them in trucks (front) until 96.

------------------
1969 Sport Coupe LT1 w/T56

[This message has been edited by ZooDad (edited 08-25-2000).]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 00, 08:05 AM
Tech Team

Check out the Sept issue of Chevy High Performance. Answers all the questions about swapping and what fits and how to do it. Has a orange 69rs/ss and a red 67 rs on the cover along with a Pro-touring shootout headline. Hope this helps-Dan in WV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode