What gear with M21 ? I got a dog now. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My dog's barkin' but it ain't got no bite...

Just took my conv. for it's maiden voyage last night and the 2.56 ain't cuttin it with this M21 (orig. 'glide).

What gear is best for good quick in town , but also highway speeds , with an M21 ?

Talk about slippin' the clutch and bogging off the line......whew , bad.

I'm thinkin' 3.73's.

What about 3.56?

Anyone been in this same boat ?

What RPM's on the highway with either one , or is there a final ratio calculator somewhere ?

Thanks,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Brian,

I'd go with something in the 3.30-3.50 range. I had 2.73's with a 4-speed. I know what you mean about slippin' the clutch to get the thing rolling.

He's a calculator to figure rpm's depending on tire size, gears etc.
http://www.ring-pinion.com/RPMCalculator.html

Mark
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech

A close ratio Muncie is just about the worst street trans ever made. Personally I would sell the M21 and put in a 3.42 low ST10 you starting gear ratio would be almost as good as having 4.11s with your M21. I am assuming that you have a stock or near stock motor that has a wide power band. If you have much cam at all in the engine the 2.56s are going to have to go. I have had cars with 2.73s and 3.11 low Saginaws that worked just fine.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 08:56 AM
Tech Team

I think origannally if you had 3.73 or lower you got a m-21 close ratio and if you had higher gears you got the wide ratio, look for a super T-10 mine has the 2.88 first gear compared to the m-21's 2.20 it comes of the line hard if it hooks up.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 08:57 AM
Tech Team

Oh yeah the muncie has got to be better than the old slip and slide, right?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech

I have gone real fast with race glides. Your problem is the combo. You have a trans that is made for a car with a narrow power band and alot of gear {3.70s} and lower and you are trying to make it work with a rear end that was made for gas milage and an engine with a broad power band. One or the other will have to changed. If you are rarely on the freeway put 3.73 or so in it. If you do a lot of freeway driving change the trans.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Let me know if you decide to sell the M-21.

Yes, I agree with the rest 3.73 and above, 4.10-4.11's be better

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks everyone......

Here's the deal , as far as I can see right now , I'd rather stick to a Muncie , if I switched to anything I'd be an M20.

Here's what's up:

350 .40 over 9:1 - Balanced
Stock small valve heads-hardened seats
Comp Cams XE268H-10 12-242-2 , .470 .480 / .268 .280 110 separation.
Stock 1968 manifold
Holley Re-man'd. Q-Jet
Iron manifolds
10.4 flywheel & Centerforce 2-
M21
Goodyear Nascar Eagles 255-60-15 (not sure of height, car is at the top-shop and can't measure rollout or height right now)
Vintage Air -

Yes , we are going to drive it on the highway , I'm sick of having trailer queens , so I built/building this to be able to jump on the highway and drive to any show we want to go to with the air blastin' , reliably , no matter how far.

So , I'm not looking for an 11 second drag car that will go on the highway with low RPM's , just to be able to scoot around town with good acceleration AND highway drivable , hopefully right at 3000 rpm or below.

I agree the close ratio might suck for this , I deduced this within about 1 mile last night.

But not going back to a 'glide or any auto for that matter , and don't want to shelf this new Centerforce clutch , so I may have to switch to an M20 , but still need some gear....

Not to mention I need to get that open center section outta there and install this rebuilt posi unit I've got anyway (10 bolt) , so I knew it was coming to this gear swap when I started , I just wanted to see how bad it was gonna suck on the first drive.

And it did.

I used to have all this gear & tranny stuff mezmerized in 1984 , but I think I'm getting senile at 37.

Thanks everyone....

Brian

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Brian,

According to the calculator, your tires are 27 inches tall. With 3.55 gears you'd be turning about 2650 rpm's at 60 mph and around 3100 at 70 mph. Not too bad for the highway, but still has some pep for the street. Speaking from experience, stay away from the 4.10's if you plan on doing any highway cruising.

Mark
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok , tell me more about the Super-T10 with low first gear , I know they make several , what is the lowest and what is the 4th gear in that one? (really , I'd like to know what each gears' ratio is).

Is there anywhere I can study up on them ?

Anywhere they're available used , how much should they be ?

Will they work with a stock 10.4 bellhousing and fork , etc....

Will they work with stock 69 Camaro Hurst shifter/shifter plate & console.

Will it work with the correct hole (in the floor) I already cut to perfection ?

In other words what would I have to change to go from Muncie to T10 ?

Maybe I can just switch the disc for the Centerforce II , as I think I remember they're like 28 spline or something ? (input shaft)

Thanks for everyone's input , I think I'm going to change the rear no matter what , but it seems like I read the S-T10's have better synchro's and just a better more modern alternative to the Muncie ?

Brian
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 02:29 PM
Team Member
John

My (unrestored/stock) '69 Z had the optional 4.10 and M-21; strong out of the hole, but finally got to me on the highway (3850 at 70). Swapped it out for a 3.55 (had to spring for a new Eaton series 3 Posi with it), makes a pretty decent combination - no problem around town, 3250 at 70 with 235/60-15's all around. I wouldn't go any higher (lower numerically) than a 3.55, though. Love that looooooong 1st gear!

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech

Smile

$1400+ from Summit Racing. They have 2.43, 2.64 or 2.88 1st. gear ratios there. I think the shifter can be made to work. These are 26 splines on input and T-400 sized output shaft. I'm not sure on your bellhousing ? I have a real nice brand new 0 miles 1978 special ordered nodular iron cased 2.88 ST-10. Mine uses a ring insert around the front bearing retainer to fit my scattershield.
www.richmondgear.com
----------
Rick

[This message has been edited by YenkoYS100 (edited 08-01-2001).]
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

Don't buy a new one most of the ones you find are 3.42 low. It will have 6 groves on the input shaft. you must change the clutch disk and rear yoke. The shifter will work but you need to make a shifter to trans mount the muncie uses a different mount.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
dave

i have a m21....with 3:73 rear and i still have a real hard time getting off the line......i am going 4:10...........

------------------
1969 z11/396 pace car
1969 z28/302 garnet red
1997 brickyard festival pace car #1
1965 chevelle malibu
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 01, 08:28 AM
Tech Team

If you have the cash go with a Richmond 5 speed with the real deep 1st it would work perfect with your gears and fifth is 1:1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode