T-5 Transmission - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have found a camaro with a T-5 transmission in it. The camaro has a V6 and I would like to upgrade it to a 350. Would this be possable with out haveing to replace teh transmission.
-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 00, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech

It is possible, but the trans won't last at all. Chevy never put it behind a 350 because it was so weak.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 00, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Marty

My 2cents.....I've heard this said about T5s numerous times on this board. However, I have a T5 behind a healthy 350 in my 69. I didn't install it, it was there when I bought the car earlier this year. Now, I don't drop the clutch from 6000rpm, but I do drop it quite often and am pretty damn happy with having a close ratio on the low end without sacrificing highway speeds. The car has a Hayes clutch, I'm using the slave cylinder and am running 3.73 gears. Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is a relatively weak trans. God knows if I had the money laying around, I'd drop a Richmond 5 or 6 speed in. If you're in the same boat as I am (wife, kids, mortgage), I say go for it and just recognise that if you try to dump to much HP through it, you may be replacing it.

------------------
Marty

69 Camaro, 350, TrickFlow heads, T5, 3.73

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

I agree with 69. There is ALOT of cars, Chevy and F*rd with stock T-5's hitting 11's-13's. Although racing it regularly it will probably break, street tire racing and daily driving it will be fine. I beat on my wife's T-5 all the time.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Question

What do you mean buy healhty. How much are you putten out? I don't plan on using this as a pure drag car. I am working on it with my dad for my first car.
-Tom
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 00, 06:25 PM
Tech Team

Raptor , My advise would be to find a super T-10 to replace the T-5. If you get some good horse power and traction your T-5 will self destruct.The T-10 comes in 2 styles aluminun and cast iron cases cast being stronger. Also come with 4 different ratio 1st gears
good luck Garry
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Marty

Raptor, If you have the money to burn, go ahead and get a stronger trans. However, it sounds like you have a car that happens to already have a T5 in it and that you are looking to upgrade the engine. If that is your short term goal, then by all means, the T5 will work for you. You don't have to fix everything at once on your car.

I don't know how long the T5 has been in my car - I've only owned the car for about 8 months. I do drive it everyday 60+ miles to work (have a heavy foot), it's got a fairly healthy 350 and a 3.73 10bolt and the T5 is still alive and working flawlessly. I'll keep driving it with the T5 until I can sock away the money to build it the "right way". In the mean time, I've got many other things to speand my money on....

Marty

------------------
Marty

69 Camaro, 350, TrickFlow heads, T5, 3.73
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech

Raptor, If you're going to mount slicks on it and flog it - you probably ought to look at a Tremec TKO (about $1500), or something like that.

Otherwise, look at it this way. First gear is the weak link, cause it's got a large gear and a small one to get the high ratio, and that small gear sees the greatest force (torque = force x distance, the smaller the distance - radius - the greater the force). It doesn't matter how much torque you put out, if it spins the tires, the limiting factor is the torque required to slip the tires. And if you're not using slicks, this torque is basically the same as a totally stock car, whether you're putting out 250 ft.-lbs. or 450 ft.-lbs. In higher gears you'll be more likely to expose the gears to the full engine torque, 'cause the tires'll be less likely to slip with less mechanical advantage - less torque at the wheels (same torque in the transmission) - but then you'll be using the gears that are stronger, because they're closer to equal in size. I'd listen to those that are running T-5's, more than to those that are merely spouting the conventional wisdom. If you're going to drag race it a lot, and/or run slicks, you're probably on borrowed time. But if it's pretty much a street car, and you don't really abuse it, you'll probably be o.k.

Another consideration is that the V6 T-5 is not the same as the V8 T-5. The conversion might be a hassle - the number of teeth in the spline is definitely different, the input shaft length may be different, and the bellhousing bolt pattern and mounting depth might be different - I don't know what all the issues are, or how big a hassle it is - maybe it just amounts to using the V6 clutch instead of the V8 clutch - I've never done it - don't know for sure. If you have to go looking for a V8 T-5, depending on what kind of deal you get, and whether you have to rebuild it, you may be just as well off looking at a Tremec or similar for peace of mind. Good luck. Find someone who knows the specifics of the V6 to V8 conversion with the V6 transmission.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. There are some very intellagent people on this site. I have alos heard that I can put in a T-56 trans but, I have to move a crossmember. They use the T-56 in the 4th gen camaros behind the 350 so they are a safe choice. Can you tell me more about the tremac. Will that bolt right into the 3rd gen camaro?? Also how many gears where can I buy one, and its that 1500 new or used, etc.

Thanks
-Tom
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech

The Tremec can be had for about $1500 brand new - this probably doesn't include the bell housing. They are a 5 speed. Don't recall the gear ratios. I don't know all the details of the swap into a Camaro. I'm dropping a modified 350 into a Chrysler Conquest, and I put a rebuilt T-5 out of a 305 Camaro behind it. I figured I'd not be drag racing it, so it'd probably stand up for my use. (Like I said, if the stock car spins the tires, without slicks you can't really load it any harder than that in low gears, and the higher gears aren't the weak point.) I looked into the Tremec, but decided to save a few hundred and see how the T-5 did. Just about ready to fire it up, so I haven't put any miles on it.

Like I said, I'd look for advice from people who've done it, and seen the results, rather than conventional wisdom, which is mostly hearsay. But I'd believe those that say if you're drag racing it and hooking hard with slicks you've got a limited life with a T-5. The Tremec TKO is almost as strong as the T56, but may not be as smooth - don't know. The T56 (my first choice) is hard to find and way expensive, even used. It's also bulky as hell - may require extensive massaging to fit in in an older Camaro designed for the T-5. The TKO looked much closer in size to the T-5.

Good luck. Remember - free advice is often worth about what you pay for it. You've gotta sift through it and see what makes sense.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
John

Talking

I have also always heard that the T-5 is almost a waste of time. It is a good point that you already have it. Tremec makes a 5 speed for 3rd gen cars. http://www.fortesparts.com/ Check it out. The TKO is almost $2000. Good luck ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I will be using this for street, This thing will never see slicks untill i really get it modded. The only two problems with the Tremac is the Price and the cost to ship it here. I think i am goinng just try the T-5 for now and keep an eye out for any Used Tremacs. I am only a high school student so I have limited resources and the car won't see a track for a while. The only mods I have planned for the 350 is a Flowmaster American Thunder, Hooker Headers, and a Comp Cam.

-Tom
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech

www.darkhorseperformance.com has the Tremec 3550 (slightly reduced torque rating from the TKO, but still much stronger than the T-5) for about $1700, and the TKO for just under $2000, but both include shifter, speedo cable conversion, pilot bushing, etc. So it's a more complete, closer to bolt-in package than they used to offer, and a little spendier. They also have the T56 for $2400. They're generally a couple hundred bucks cheaper than Forte's, but I don't know what either are like to deal with. But, like you said, all pretty expensive compared to something you already have on hand.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 04:09 PM
Banned

Smile

Good luck, raptor,

Well said Huck.

I know a guy that had a Chevelle with a very stout 427 ahead of (I think) a T-10 with a 3.44 first or a Saginaw, the one with the 3.11 low gear,(out of a Vega??).

It was like you said. He didn't stay in low long enough to torque the transmission that hard, what with all the smoke and jumping up and down taking off. He swore by it and never had any trouble out of the weak trans. pdq67

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode