Fuel Tank Leaking - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
James

Angry

My fuel tank leaks at about 5 to 7 Gallons of Feul. It seems to be coming from the seal between the bottom and top halfs of the tank. can't see any holes or rust for that matter. Any ideas, and can this be fixed?? Or do I have to cough up the $120 for a new tank??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech

Mine was leaking at the point where the filler tube joined the tank. I used some of that gas tank sealer epoxy and it fixed it right up. If yours is inside the seam it may be harder to seal. In any case, I certainly wouldn't mess around very long with a leak.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

That should be easy enough to fix. Just take an oxy/acetelyne torch and weld all the way around the seam. You don't even need to drain it or anything. I can guarantee that when you are done, the problem will not be bothering you anymore.

Scott. (With tounge firmly planted in cheek)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Lance

I have used JB Weld epoxy to seal a gas tank. Four years and holding so far.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Cool

I had a similar problem on a gas tank on a 73. I took it to a radiator shop that also repaired gas tanks and they welded the filler tube back on for me. They should be able to do the same thing to a seam. Then you can think about coating the inside if the leak was caused by rust.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech

FYI for all,

corrision in side a tank is normaly caused by, the fuel. you know that oxygentaded crap they make us use. all so if you store a car, drain the tank and leave the cap off so it can dry out, or fill it up and put some staibilizer in it.

put the staibilizer in it then fill it up and drive it about 5 mile's to get the staibilizer throughout the fuel system. come spring it will fire right up and the gas will be good to go!

if you can get the non oxygenated fuel do it! it is murder on older car's fuel system's as they where not desienged for it. in fact the auto industry at first would not warenty a car that had used this fuel till the fed's steped in and said"buddy you have too". this was back in the early 80's. all car's now can use up to about a 15% blend of oxygenating adative's and not corrored.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech

A raditor shop can fix it. I spent many summers working at my Dad's shop and worked on plenty of gas tanks. My experience - DO NOT use gas tank sealers. After a few years, it begins to break down and clog filters & lines, then you've got bigger fuel problems.
My advice is if its not a seam, buy a new tank now & save the hassle. The repops look good and you'll never have to think about it again. one & done.
SAFETY NOTE: While it was tounge in check, backyard mechanix should NEVER try to repair at home with torches. Gas itself is not dangerous - its the fumes. I've flushed tanks for over 30 minutes & still had them explode. Always take it to a professional for that type of repair.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
James

Thumbs up

I really appreciate all of the input!!!!

Just pulled it out last night (4/9) and it looks like it is coming from the seam. I can see stains from the gas leaking. A buddy and I are going to give it the once over this weekend with an oxy/acetelyne torch to see if we can repair it.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 04:03 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

We'll all look for the mushroom cloud!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 07:27 AM
Tech Team

Exclamation

dont use a torch on a gas tank. is a $120 gas tank worth more than the skin on your upper body and face? i have repaired gas tanks before, the only safe way to fix one in my opinion is by soldering. unfortunately for you having a seam leak, it wont work. spend the money for the new tank and save a trip to the emergency room.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Your asking for trouble if you take a torch to that tank. Like it was said is it worth a trip to the emergence room? Take it to a radiator shop that does gas tank repair and let them do it and blow themselves up. Then they can replace your tank for you…. Good Luck!! May God be with you and please have closed casket funeral…
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech
TOM

Cool

http://www.webdeveloper.com/animatio...s/burn_nuk.gif

[This message has been edited by TOMSTV (edited 04-11-2001).]
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 03:56 PM

You like taking chances, huh. I strongly recommend you take it to someone ELSE to weld it up. Someone used to performing this type of repair.

69er

------------------
69 Camaro 454
71 Nova 454

If your not living on the edge then your taking up too much space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode