convertible top cylinders - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

guys,
Does anyone know if camaros and chevelles use the same convertible top cylinders? I know someone who needs cylinders for a first gen camaro, but all I have are 68-72 chevelle units. If no one knows, could anyone give me a measurement of the cylinder length, and maybe a measurement from one end to the mounting boss? thanks for any help.

------------------
Dave (NY)
66/70 chevelle ss396's
72 chevelle
69/71 camaros
55 chevy prostreet
61 impala bubbletop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 03:09 PM
Senior Tech

I measured mine from a 67 Camaro and the fully extended length is 19 1/2 in. and the fully compressed length is 13 1/4 in. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 03:25 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hi Dave,

I got out my handy "Chevrolet Parts Interchange Manual" (Note: rarely very acurate) to see if it would help. This book is specific for '59-'70 Camaro, Chevelle, Nova/Chev II and Impala... Anyway on to your question...

Under "Convertible Lift Assembly" It says "Lift cylinders are widely interchangeable." Then it says there are 2 types, Manual and Power. Power can be identified by the hydraulic lines. At this point it sounds good for your friend. Well the rest shows 9 different units 6 of them being "Power"

Per this book the 67-69 Camaro manual cylinders will interchange with 64-67 Chevelles, Skylarks, LeMans and Firebirds!!! Part # 4412503.

For the power cylinder only the 67-69 Camaro and Firebird interchange. Part # 7704518.

Your 68-72 Chevelle's should be part #9812594
for power, will fit same year Skylarks, LeMans and Cutlass' and #77779370 68-70 manual (counterbalanced) will fit same year LeMans...

I hope this helps, I don't have a lot of trust in this book. Maybe someone has their interior apart and can measure for you...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 03:27 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Looks like kobuzz got in there before I finished. Are the manual and power the same?

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey thanks for all the info! So far all publications I have seen show a different part between the camaro and 68-72 chevelle, but the measurement will make it 100% certain. I will measure tomorrow and post the result, maybe it will help others looking for the same parts. Thanks again.

------------------
Dave (NY)
66/70 chevelle ss396's
72 chevelle
69/71 camaros
55 chevy prostreet
61 impala bubbletop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode