Restamped Distributors - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Question

Anybody have any idea on how to identify a restamped distributor or what to look for? Need this info for the future purchase of an original if ever I could afford one or find one. Also, on the Z stripes on the deck lid...if there is a vinyl top, do the stripes go under the covering or are they applied to look the same as the non-vinyl top? And last, but not least, I'm a little confused about the tailpipes for the Z28. Did the Z's have tailpipes that were completely chromed all the way to the transverse muffler or were they just the raw tubing with the polished tips? I have the complete chrome pipes to install on my car, dated 06A. Need to know if correct for "D" model Z28.

Thanks,
Gary
-----------
1969 Cortez Silver Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I know that the Z-28 distributor has a different set of advance weights and a different plate that the weights mount on.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Stripes always end in the same place on the rear deck of a Z28 no mater what type of top the car has. Stripes on a car with a vinyl top are just like those on a convertible top, they end 0.62" short of the chrome trim around the vinyl top. On a non vinyl roof car they end 5.2" from the window chrome. In each case the stripe ends in the same relative location on the car.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thumbs up

Thanks gentlemen.

Big Gear Head... Any idea's where I can get a picture of this for my records for comparison? I might go to Carlisle this year sometime and see if I can find one.

Thanks,
Gary
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 01:55 AM

OK on the tailpipes no one makes them wright that I know of. They were chrome about 12" to 18" back not all the way. But here is the hard part the pipe was made short the chrome tip was welded on so the tailpipes were made in two peaces not one. On the desb. there was a post on one yesterday it was a restamp but it will give you an ideal on what to look for I do not have any pic. of mine. A GM assembely manule will give you a lot of info that you will need like stirps and on how thing were put together.

TIM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12182103&f=0

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Question

Tim...I have seen several pictures of Camaro's with the style of tailpipe I have. (Not close up shots mind you, but they look the same). These are chrome all the way and the exposed end protruding out from under the rear valance are cut at 90 degrees. I think the ones you are referring to have a 45 degree cut don't they? Also, one of them has what appears to be a part number ...8201337L the other does not and they do appear to be symetrical. The gentleman I purchased them from claims they came off a 69 Z. I would like to know what is correct.

Thanks,
Gary
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 01, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I don't have a picture of one but I do have part of one that I had to replace in a Z-28 distributor. I'll see if I can find it.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 01:50 AM

Wink

45 is wright 90 is wrong like I sad they were only chromed part of the way I think it stoped at about 12" to 18" . The last set I had I sold to Rick's down in Ga. 2or 3 years ago. But they were cut on the tips like mine on my car. And they were cut off chromed and welded back on. That is the way GM did ALL the 69 chrome tailpipes none were cut on a 90deg. from GM. Cut off chromed and welded back on that is the way all were done.

TIM

[This message has been edited by Tim Meredith (edited 04-11-2001).]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 04:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Tim is correct. I have an NOS pair of tailpipes in my hand. The chromed part of the tailpipes is 17 inches. It was chromed, then welded to the rest of the tailpipe assy.
The ends angles are approx 45 degrees. 3967627 and 3974213 are the part numbers on the labels attached.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I dug out the distributor parts and looked them over. I'm not sure but I may have another Z-28 distributor. What are the numbers supose to be on it? This one has the same advance parts as the one I took out of the Z-28 dist. The numbers on the side are 1111955. I couldn't find it in any of my books.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode