heads - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 00, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
will

Question

hello again. i need to ask what type of heads should i be looking 4? theyre going on a 350 in an 82 z28. im trying to go 4 a street rod. ne help would be appreciated. thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 00, 04:33 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Chevy,

If u can find them I would locate a set of the older castings as they are much more durable. To save ya time go to your local reputable machine shops and see what they've got. Here is a few #'s ta look for.

3932441 67-79 1.94/1.50 250 & 255 76 CC Chambers Intake flow 152 CFM Exhaust flow 93.2 CFM These have flat seat spark plugs.
3973487 68-79 1.94/1.50 & 2.02/1.6 165-330 76 CC Chambers X casting has 10 more intake cc volume
3998993 68-79 1.72/1.50 & 1.94/1.50 115-175 76 CC Chambers Intake flow 150.8 CFM Exhaust flow 91.1 CFM Heavy duty casting. Small plug.
333881 1971 / 76 350 165, 270 hp
462614 1977 / 79 305 / 350

71 Camairo

[This message has been edited by 71 Camairo (edited 04-18-2000).]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 00, 06:49 AM

Cool

I have some fuelie heads that were on my other engine and I'm not going to use... Make an offer.

[email protected]

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 00, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech

If you are building a street rod, I can't think of a single reason to use factory heads unless they are free. There are SOOOOOOOO many good aftermarket heads out there that kill the old GM heads. It amazes me how many people spend good money modifying the oldies. If you can do it your self, great, but aftermarket heads are light years ahead of the stock castings, and are a much better starting point. You can get into a good set of World Products Torquers for about $350, or Sportsman II's for about $550. If you want performance at a good price I would strongly recommend staying away from stock heads. You don't have to spend a bundle for good aftermarket heads.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 02:57 AM
Senior Tech

Question

Just curious Shawn. Where are you getting finding the heads so cheap cause I am in the market for a set myself. It beats any prices that I've found. Thanks in advance.

71 Camairo
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech

Shawn, would the same go for big block heads?
I'd love to run aftermarkets, but I can't seem to find anything for less than $1500.00....I've got 4290's on my 396, and I'm happy with them, but I'm not sure if they've been worked or not. Plus, I'd love to shave some weight, and I know the stock iron heads would be an easy place to start. Does your statement about the GM heads also include the big block castings? KZ
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 07:29 AM
Tech Team

consider the vortec heads.
at $400 a pair + the intake ($200) $600 total
you can get a set of assembled heads that flow really well right out of the box.
Im running them on my 69 right now
they have 64cc heart shaped combustion chambers and are completely assembled
if you have a high lift cam you may want to change the valve springs.

I know you are going to get a lot of posts saying that the heads are lightweight castings and are prone to cracking, so far I havent had any problems with them yet. I also know of a few people running them with now problems what so ever.

my second choice (more $$$$) are the GM fast burn heads

third choice would be Dart II sportsmans

------------------
1969 Camaro RS/SS
350 Goodwrench Vortec Heads
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech

From everything I read and see, the Vortec heads give the most bang for the buck. Can't be beat in the cast iron line of heads. Watch the valve springs carefully though. I'd rather have aluminum, but the money gets to be a problem quick with these. New heads might save money in the long run too, over the machining costs for used.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech

I should qualify my remark about price, Sorry. The numbers I've stated is what I see them for in my local paper and at swap meets. They seem to go for about half of what they sell for new, which is typically $700 or so for the set. I see lots of Sportsman II's around that people seem to be trading off for something else. As for the BB parts, not sure about cost. I just know that everything for them is very spendy...

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech

Question

Where oh where is a good place ta purchase a set of the vortecs. I may jus break down and try a set of them

71 Camairo
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 08:59 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
71camairo, you can get the Vortec heads through your local Chevy dealer. also check the posts in the engine/drivetrain area for posts about what year chevy trucks had these heads. you can save some money and get them from a salvage yard.

------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech

KZ,

I would say that it certainly DOES NOT apply to big block heads. My Edelbrock Performer RPM heads were 1,500.00 and all the other aluminum types were roughly the same price when I bought them. I have always had small blocks before my current 396 and I would say that big blocks cost at least 2 1/2 times as much as their small block brothers to build. The parts availability is less and therefore more expensive. People seem to want to charge more in terms of labor too, don't ask me why, it just happens.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Thanx Joe. Got ta say im not partial ta the bone yard variety when it comes to these heads. So I checked around and the guys at www.paceparts.com has it goin on.

Thanx again

71 Camairo
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech

Guys, Burt Greenwald Chevrolet (Ohio) had the best price I could find on the Vortec heads at the time I bought them. They came on 96 and later Chevy trucks, for those who want them used. The durability thing, I think, is a result of some advertising copy in the GM Perf Parts catalog. It's trying to sell the heavy, low-flowing bowtie heads on durability (they're heavy and don't flow as well as Vortec heads, so they must be more durable). My truck's heads're fine. I'll let you know how they do on my 67 ragtop once they're in. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems. Remember, they're cast iron, production truck heads. Steve Laabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode