Gasket on the firewall behind the evaporator box? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Question

I am adding a facory A/C unit from an old parts car to my 67 convert. (that originally had no a/c). Its got the original 275 hp 327 with a powerglide trans., only about 70,000 original miles. This car is very stock and original in everyway. That's why I want to put in original factory air and not an aftermarket a/c. The reason I'm asking is because in the "1967 Chassis Service Manual" pg. 1A-51 Fig. 66 looks as though there's a gasket. On pg. 205 of my "1967 Camaro Assembly Manual" it looks as though there isn't a gasket. I've looked through my Camaro sales catalogs and none of the major suppliers have such a gasket listed, though they do sell part of the evaporator box itself. If anyone out there knows if I need a gasket to be correct, please respond! Where might I buy such an item? An auto A/C place? Also, if anyone out there has any experience with such an A/C convertion, please let me know of any unwanted suprises I might encounter in the future. Thanks for any information, people!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech

Do you know that the firewalls are different for an A/C car and a non A/C car?? The cut outs for the boxes are completely different. You'll need a donor firewall.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks... I know about the firewall differences. I have the firewall from the donor car. I intend to graph it into my original firewall. When I took the evaporator box off from the parts car, there wasn't a gasket between the box and the firewall. I just don't know if this is
correct. Gasket or no..?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

My '68 had no gasket, just a bead of caulk.

1968 AIM UPC C60 D1 shows and lists a 3/8" diameter "sealant compound."

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech

On 2 '69 A/C cars I've done, the sealer was the consistancy of puty, so I used rope caulk, which you can get at just about any hardware store. The one car had a bead of silcone-like stuff around the outside, I think due to the evaporator being replaced at one time.

I think rope-caulk should do the trick for ya.

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 03:50 AM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Ditto on the rope caulk trick.

Roy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I used 3M "Strip Caulk" which I got from an Automotive paint supply house. It's black, and is easy to use. I used it between the evaportator halves, as well as against the firewall.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!! I hadnít thought about an automotive caulk. I
think Iím going to go with the 3-M product. Thereís an automotive paint store close by
and I need to pick up some paint stripper anyway. I know they sell 3-M products there and Iíve like their quality in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode