NEED info on block VIN - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I have a block with a VIN I cant find any info in. This # s off the drivers side below the head. I would like to know what year it is, and what it came out of///

the # is 3932386 and has 12GM stamped next to it.

Any help would be great, I cant find it anywhere.... Thanks in advance/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech

My book says 69 327 or 350 2 or 4 bolt. It is a good early block

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

I know it is a 350 because of the model of Edelbrock heads on it. Do you know what year? Or what it came out of? Base horsepower? I mainly need to know beacuse I need to order some parts for it... seals.. ect... and I just want to know what I am working with///
thanks

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 02:39 PM
Bill

Cruisin,
You cannot tell if it is a 350 or 327 by the cylinder heads. Both motors use the same exact block and both engines look identical externally and would use the same heads. If the motor is out of the car, you can probably tell by looking at the back of the crankshaft. Most (if not all)327's will have a round flange where the flywheel bolts on, 350's will be more oblong. The only other way to tell for sure would be to pull the pan and get a crankshaft casting. It could conceivably even be a 302. If the motor has Edelbrock heads on it, I doubt that it has the original camshaft etc that would have determined horsepower when the motor was originally made by GM. As far as parts, seals, gaskets etc are all pretty much the same for all the early (until 1985) small blocks.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

That does help but the motor is in the car and is heavily topped with performance add-ons the whole top end is edelbrock, heads, intake carb...ect It does have a mild cam in it but shouldnt I be able to trace the block VIN to what it was originaly in, size and original rated horsepower?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Question

Well, I have done a little more research and came to the conclusion that it is a 1969 block for sure. The quastion remains 302, 327 or 350? How do I figure this out by the VIN short of yanking it out of the car and tearing the oil pan off to get the crank? When I bought the car the previous owner "SAID" it was a 350. ..and I cant see someone putting as much $$ as is into this motor into a 327. I could be wrong. Is there any other numbers on the block I could pull to find out???
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Question

Well, I have done a little more research and came to the conclusion that it is a 1969 block for sure. The quastion remains 302, 327 or 350? How do I figure this out by the VIN short of yanking it out of the car and tearing the oil pan off to get the crank? When I bought the car the previous owner "SAID" it was a 350. ..and I cant see someone putting as much $$ as is into this motor into a 327. I could be wrong. Is there any other numbers on the block I could pull to find out???
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Look on the engine pad on the front of the pass side -- basically an extenstion of the engine deck. Post that code, and someone will tell you what that block was intended for.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Question

Okay I looked on the right bank pad in the fron and it is blank! Not a # in sight, I did find a H17 8 on the rear pass side.
Also on the bottom of the drivers side

N41 371 386

I dont know if that helps, there is also a HB casted on the front drivers side below the freeze plug. Under the oil filter is GM3952302. Thats all the # off whats left og the Chevrolet stuff the rest is aftermarket.
I hope that helps. I read somewhere that the front pass side was blank on replacement chevy motors???
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 04:02 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

The block has been decked. The first number is the casting date, Aug.17, 1968. If the other number is stamped on a pad by the oil filter, it could be the VIN. N-Norwood, followed by 6 digit sequence number. problem is you gave 8 digits. Other problem is that they started stamping there sometime around December 1968. That's a little late for an August block. Not out of the question, though. I once saw an unrestored L-78 block with a cast date of October, 68 and an engine build date of May, 69.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Okay, so what else can I get from these #'s? The N..... # is off the drivers side of the block and the oil filter number is stamped on the inside where the oil filer screws into. Can you get anymore info from this beyond the date made? (BTW thanks for the help so far)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Not inside the filter, but nex to it, there is a pad where VINs were stamped vertically. They started stamping VINs there, after they figured out they had to remove the alternator to stamp it on the deck pad.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech

Even if you get the vin numbers it still doesn't mean that the origonal parts are still in it. Don't worry about it if it runs good just drive it.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

The # I passed with the N.... is the # next to the oil filter the numbers are vertical.
The reason I want to know is the same reason anyone else would want to know, its my love and I want to know all I can about her. and when someone asks I sound like an idiot if I dont know where the block in my car is from! I will look into the # on the side and post it axactly as casted on the block tonight, thanks for everyones help!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

You know, I just looked up the casting number on your original post. According to Chevy By the Numbers, 3932386 is a four bolt, only, and, if it's a Norwood car, could only be a 350/300hp (standard SS engine) or a (302/290 Z/28 engine) If you can look at the crankshaft flange, the 350 is sort of square. A picture would help, but it look at it like a clock. Horizontally, between 11 and 1, its straight. same thing between 5 and 7. 7 to 11 is radiused. 1 to 2 has a notch, same thing 4 to 5.
302 is easier to describe, round with a notch between 1 and 2.
Hope you have a 302!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode