Color combinations with stripes - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 00, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Question

This isn't aimed at any particular car so please don't read it that way, but I was under the impression that if you ordered a Z28 or SS or any striping that the stripes were white unless the car was a particular color or had a black vinyl top, then the stripes would be black. I've probably seen just as many Hugger Orange Camaros with black stripes as with white and most of the black stripe cars did not have a black vinyl top. Could you actually order the stripes in whatever color you liked(as long as it was black or white)? My car (69 Z28)is Hugger Orange with white stripes with standard black interior and no vinyl top. Was there a rule that GM used to determine the stripe color?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 00, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Thumbs up

There is a "1969 Camaro Accent Strip Color Availability Chart" in one of my books. It addresses RPO's D90, D96, and DX1 stripes. Looks like the stripe color was determined by vinyl/conv. top color.....

For Hugger Orange it lists:
Top color = Stripe color
Black = Black
Parchment = White
No Top = White

It doesn't show any other top colors available for Hugger Orange.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 04-18-2000).]
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 00, 04:47 PM
Tech Team

See the exterior color table at http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#ExteriorColors

Rich Fields
Camaro Research Group

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

So all these Hugger Orange cars with no vinyl top or white conv top and black stripes are incorrect. I also have noticed a lot of Hugger Orange cars with the black grill instead of the silver painted grill like they should be. There's a lot of nice "restified" cars out there, but most of them seem to have several items incorrect. When paying $30,000 plus for a car, you'd think that it would be restored the right way.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 08:11 AM
Tech Team

Just want to inject some thought here on this one. I think the Chevy plants were a little more flexable on color combinations back in the late 60's. These factory color/stripe/interior combination rules are more like 99.9% correct. As an example, back in 1982 I bought a 69 ss/rs from a guy in AR.
It had all the original paperwork, (window sticker, POP, etc.). It was a very rare car, and loaded with options like light monitor, liquid traction, speed warning, blue dot stereo, rear defroster, block heater, and other stuff. And get this, the car was ordered garnet red with white hockey stripes, white vinyl top, and BLUE custom interior, and all this was on the origional sticker. Some other people I told about this car years later said NO WAY, but it was there. I wish I would have taken and saved pictures of all this origional stuff. I didn't realize it at the time, but it might have been a COPO built car. I remember the POP said the origional owner was Francis something, St Louis MO. I owned the car for about a year, then sold it, and don't know where it ended up. So, thats my story, and I guess my theory is "never say never".
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Thumbs up

Peace is correct. Inconsistency is the norm when it comes to '60's Chevrolets. Just because I quoted a table..that dosen't mean there aren't exceptions. I just though I would help clarify.....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech

Jeff,

Actually there were many deviations from what was considered the norm from the factory reccomended combinations.

An COPO order was generally the way the car could be ordered with non-factory reccomended combinations. For example, because of inceasing pressure on GM to produce cars with LESS horsepower there were even times were GM production orders would show that a car was to have a small block but that was change by a factory work order on the floor to be a big block car. I agree with the others here in that generally that DID'NT happen but it ceratinly happened more than one would think!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 10:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
How did Chevrolet deal with BB SS' and the black around the tail lights? White top, white stripes and black around the lights? I have never personally seen one this way. And would that be one more flaw in the "Dream Car" L-89?

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech

DJD,

ALL 69 Big Block SS's had the black tail panel EXCEPT for the following exterior colors:

Burnished Brown (61), Fathom Green (57), Burgundy (67), and Dusk Blue (51). The only other exceptions to this were the Big Block Z11 and Z10 model camaros which were both white with orange striping (the black tail panel paint was deleted from these models).

69SS
ALL 69 big block hugger orange cars came with the black sail panels. See above.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 04-21-2000).]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 03:58 PM

I have a Hugger orange 1969 SS396 with a white vinal top, white stripes, white interior and black rockers and black tail panel.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Question

Peace that has to win the award for the strangest color combination I've ever heard of. Red with blue interior? Was the original owner colorblind? Did that combination look good?

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 06:28 PM
Tech Team

Yes, actually I thought it looked pretty good, although I don't know what would inspire someone to special order it that way, unless that liked a "red white & blue" color combo.
But, kinda weird, no doubt. It was definately the most loaded, unusual,
original documented car I have ever seen, or owned. I can't remember the exact total price
on the window sticker, but I think it was over $4,400.00, which was pretty high back then, considering the car was a 350 4-speed. (Thats probably equal to 44k today). It's also the only 69 Camaro I have ever seen with "liquid tire chain", and "engine block heater" options. I paid $4,500.00 for it back in 1982, and when I tried to sell it a year later, several people turned it down, because of the strange blue custom interior in a red car. Some questioned it, and I would show them the origional window sticker, and they would leave "scratching" their heads? Kinda funny!
It's #1 on my "shoulda-kept" list from the past, and would be a "rare bird" today.

[This message has been edited by Peace69Z/28 (edited 04-19-2000).]
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 00, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech

here's a pic of mine. it started out life as a black vinyl roof, so it probably had black hockey sticks. white hockey sticks are correct for a none vinyl roof car (i like it better with the white - sort of breaks up the color combo with the black tail panel) i think the paint is correct (except for Ray Charles painted it) with 2 defects (that i know of - hurt my feelings and tell me more if you spot them)
1 - the rocker panels should be black even though the car has white stripes.
2 - the hockey sticks should have about a 1" gap in them where the 396 is with a orange background instead of being solid white.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode