anti-theft switch - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Question

I'm sure many have read the new Car Craft article on anti-theft ideas. I'm wondering how to install an ignition kill switch on a HEI distributor. The article states that you can't ground the coil on a HEI system - so does anyone know how to disable an HEI? I'd like to do the hidden switch approach. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech
Daniel

What about braking the hot line to the coil?

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 2004R (owned since 81)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
http://homestead.juno.com/dakcoffman/
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Place said switch into 12V supply line running into HEI connector.

Or better yet, better disguised, if running automatic, regardless column-shift or console shift, the large purple wire supplying start for starter solenoid at the neutral safety switch is right there at inst dash. Install switch there.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech

I have not seen this article. Did it talk about the new Sears Diehard battery that has a security feature? Or has anyone installed this in their car? I guess basically you get a "remote" like you use to open your car door, and the battery is activated and deactivated with this remote.
I guess the thief could always disconnect the battery and put in one of his own but kind of a pain running around with a heavy battery to swap out.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 04:05 AM

I just put in a Security battery and I love it so far. You can read all about it in my post in the electrical section: https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum10/HTML/000490.html

------------------
Ben - '67 RS/SS350 - Mustangs, meet your NemeSS
"There's an 'e' in Ben, but there's NO 'E' IN CAMARO!!" (no, I'm not an English major....but my wife is! )
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Denver, yes it does feature the Diehard battery in the article. It sounds like a pretty cool system, but since my battery is new I'll go the other route for now.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 08:21 PM
Senior Tech

I have HEI in my 69 and a previous owner (??) did just that...put a switch in the hot lead. Worked great! I said, "wonder what this switch does...?" just before I was coasting heheh I assume you want to hide it though?! I had a kill switch hidden in an old VW that I could flick with my toe and disconnect the ignition. That was kinda cool too?! very discreet
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech

I'd go for the starter kill since you can still turn it over to your hearts content with the distributor switch. I've been thinking about doing this as well but can't think of a good place to hide the switch for the starter. At first I thought in the glove box but that's kinda obvious once you open it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

One can always place switch onto a homemade bracket, then attach same bracket to a steering column mounting bolt.

Up out of the way of sight, but easy enough to reach. May have to bend the bracket up into the inst area to "hide" the switch.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 03:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

My feeling is that the hidden switch should NOT be easy to reach while sitting in the car. That would be the first places that I would look if I was trying to steal a car. Make it a pain to get to. Hopefully the thief will get nervous looking and move on to easier prey.

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

But then if you made it hard to get to or find, then the owner is going to get lazy and not use it.

Or the owner could do a double switch, that is have two switches in series to disable.

There is ALWAYS a way to disable, and thief not find it, we just have to be ingenious about the set-up. Besides, if it takes more than 15-20 seconds, the thief will move on.

Everett
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Exclamation

My battery is mounted in the trunk. I have an "on-off" switch in there for the battery. I guess it would count as a theft deterrent since there is no remote trunk release inside the car.

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 05:56 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
I have an MSD6al with HEI Distributer, so the white wire isn't used (for points) its a built-in theft deterant. hook the wire to a grounded switch and it'll crank till the battery goes dead. works great with the hood locks.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech

I have the DieHard Security Battery in my '85 Fiero. I like it. It works particularly well in this vehicle--if the remote trunk release is disabled, theives have to punch the lock in order to get to the battery.

One drawback is that, unlike the Optima, the DieHard has the potential to leak acid (which is why I went with an Optima for the '68), but if you used Por-15 to coat your tray or a battery mat, it should not matter.

The other drawback is the ease with which a first-gen hood can be opened from the outside. I posted a question last year
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/002213.html

on securing the hood and got back good responses. I decided the best solution was to go with keyed hood locks like those from JC Whitney,
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=4706

but I still have not been able to bring myself to drill the hood for them. Right now I'm still using a lock & chain--which is a real pain.

The DieHard and keyed hood locks should prevent a thief from hotwiring your car--won't do anything to stop external and interior vandalism though.

<edit>
Just in case anyone missed it, Sears issued a recall on all its DieHard security batteries over a year ago. I think everyone who registered the battery when purchased was notified by letter.

Sears said it had received many complaints about the batteries. The one in my fiero shut the engine down and refused to restart (the starter would not even engage, but everything else electrical worked fine). Luckily, it happened when I was pulling into a gas station and not on the interstate.

[This message has been edited by cturner (edited 02-09-2003).]
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 10:18 AM

When i replaced my auto with a manual in a 67 i used the two purple wires from the removed neutral safety switch. I connected them to a "push"button switch located to the left of the steering wheel in the under lip of the dash.
The thing i like about a push button swith is that it must be depressed while the ignition key is being turned otherwise the key will turn and nothing will happen.
I would suggest this over a normal on off switch because a determined thief will allways find it.I am not suggesting this idea is fool proof because i believe any system,homemade or shop purchased can be overcome by an experienced thief.
What this may do is buy valuable seconds as a not so experinced thief works out what the buttons for,and that he or she needs to push and turn the key at the same time.
T.P.DONAGHY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode