hood louvers -- bad castings - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Just received a set of the 68/69 4-stack repro hood louvers, but one of the corner studs on BOTH louvers was broken. One of the stacks had pronounced shrinkage just above the stud. I noticed the broken studs as I took them out of the packaging. Looks like a serious design flaw. Even if I had a replacement set, I wouldn't feel confident that they would last long considering the vibration, torque and tension these studs have to endure.

Just wondered if anyone had the same problem. Is there more than one manufacturer of this part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 02:03 AM
Senior Tech

Dan,

I have no experience with inserts you are talking about but I found the terminology used ("shrinkage")to be coming from someone that either worked in the foundry business or has had some association with fondries other than through being a car enthusiast. Most people (and they wouldn't be totally wrong) would have described "voids" or "porosity" but rare is the person that calls it "shrinkage". I used to be a foundry engineer/QA Manager about 10 years ago making castings for the Aerospace industry and "shrinkage" was my enemy.

Sorry to gobble up space on your posting with such trivial B.S. but it just struck me as.....

Robert Stacho (A.K.A. Mytmouse)

------------------
67 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
70 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
68 RS Z/28 302 350+HP? 4speed
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 05:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I saw the same thing at pleasanton a couple months ago. I can't remember the name of the vendor right now, but they had camaro & chevelle parts. I walked up to a stack of new repo louvers and saw studs broke off!!! These pieces had not been bolted on anything yet. There were several boxes of them so I opened a few up and took a peek at some more. Out of 5 boxes I opened, 2 boxes didn't pass. 1 had 3 studs broke, the other had 1 off! I passed. Makes you wonder. Of course, on my SS all the studs had broke off before I bought the car, previous owner used blue goo sealer to hold them on!!!! Whatever!

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Robert, I remebered that term from my studies of casting in a course in manufacturing processes. I was surprised that both pieces made it past QC, especially since one had the obvious (visible from the top) sunken region at the root where pin attached. You think they could at least touch the studs to see if they snap off -- that's all it took! They really need to redesign these. I'm just trying to save owners and retailers some grief by alerting them to a possible pandemic problem.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 02:20 PM

I just purchased a set for my 68 from Rick's first gen.camaro in Athens GA. They were fine. You can find then on the net, and get a catalog.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm curious what the box looked like and if was a different mfr. What was printed on the box?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 01:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Dan, I don't remember seeing any printing or markings, but the boxes were plain white.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 02:53 PM
Team Member
John

Chances are the "good" ones were from "Trim Parts" - their stuff is first-rate, much better than GM original.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The box I received was white with a sketch of a front view of a firebird, camaro, and a third car. Underneath the sketch was printed "hugger...something", can't remember, it's on its way back to the retailer.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 00, 02:42 AM
Senior Tech

Agree that if your going to get repro chrome then get it from Trim Parts but they are not always better. I had a problem more than once with the rear panel SS 396 emblem for 69 Chevelles. The white paint kept flaking off the SS. I received as a gift new outer door handles from them and didn't open them for a while. When I did I found the pass side handle was pretty wavy but I had them for a while before I opened them and have no receipt so I am stuck with junk. Trim Parts are the best but you have to pay attention. Not to get off on a tangent here about repro stuff but how does a original part last for thirty years through all kinds of weather (rememeber when new these were daily drivers) but a repro put on a show car that doesn't see weather can't last at all? Its terrible
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 00, 03:05 PM
Team Member
John

SS396 -

You're right - but you have to remember that the originals were made in high volume (thousands every day), in die-cast molds made from the finest tool steel, run in VERY high clamp-capacity die-cast machines. The repop molds aren't anywhere near as durable as the originals, and the parts are made in short runs in much smaller-capacity machines which are also used to run many different types/sizes of parts. The General had his die-cast machines designed and built specifically to run ONE kind of part, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year long. Basic manufacturing economics - nobody can afford to make them like the General did on a low-volume limited-market basis, so they do the best they can with what they have in order to make them affordable.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode