69 Camrao with 350/300HP Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

I Have a 69 Camaro , Not an SS, with SS Trim(simulated rear quarter louvers, black lower sill plates etc.) It does not have the X11 tag, but I understand early Norwood cars did not. The Engine has and TurboFire 300 Air Cleaner cover(certainly can be bought). My question is, was it possible to get the 350/300HP engine on a 69 Camaro without getting an SS. I could not locate the engine tag above the water pump, just below the right cyclinder head. Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech

If it's a 300 hp 350 it should have the following:

1. Camel-hump (or double hump) heads (a casting symbol on the front of the heads, facing the radiator). 2. In-line gas filter with a return hose from the bottom. 3. If manual transmission, should have big flywheel (164 tooth) and big clutch (11 incher). 4. Quadrajet carb (although the 255 hp also had q-jets). 5. Dual exhaust.

If your car has the above from the factory and front disk brakes you probably have an SS. I don't think you could get a high perf engine (described above is an L-48) unless you got the rest of the goodies that go with the package. I could be wrong...but since the SS package only cost $350 extra in 69, I don't know why one order just the engine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

X codes came out in Norwood cars in December68. Look at your body build date---3A would be March (3) First week (A) to see when it was produced. X11 could be RS, RS-SS small block, or plane jane with exterior style trim group (basically extra brightwork)X55 would be SS350 in standard exterior trim

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech

X11 or X55 both could be SS-350 according CRG (Camaro Research Group...www.camaro.org). Good info on that site about first gens.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. It sounds more and more, based on the following;

BODY BY FISHER
ST 69 12437 NOR123456 BDY
TR 712 76 76 PNT
10B

That I have a LM1 350/255HP, since the car was built October 68, before they replaced it with the L65. It also sounds like I simply have the Z21 Trim Group, and that the Z28 Stripes and 350/300 Turbo fire air cleaner were just add-ons. Still a nice ride, and clears up some confusion. With the Edelbrock Performer Manifold, Edelbrock Card, K&N Air Filter, And Dual Stainless Exhaust w/Headers, the power output probably approaches that of a stock L-48 anyway.. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sleepy-69:
X11 or X55 both could be SS-350 according CRG (Camaro Research Group...www.camaro.org). Good info on that site about first gens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech

Iv'e done some research on that. On www.camaro.org, they say that the L48 300 350 was only offered on the SS models in 69.My 69 is a norwood car code X55 and it has a 300 hp 350.This site been very accurate on everthing i have checked so far on my car.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
55 Belair Sedan Pro Street 355 auto 9''
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 01, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech

The only diffs I can determine between a LM-1 and a L-48 are:
L-48 has 10.25 compression heads; LM-1 has 9.0. Same valve sizes.
The L-48 has 4 bolt mains; LM-1 has two. L-48 has dual exhaust...LM-1 single.
Duals and the higher compression make up the 45 hp difference. Both engines share the same cam, pistons, rods, crank, block, manifolds, carb, etc. They do employ different gas filters. But the LM-1 rated at 255 wasn't a bad little engine. It also looks like most LM-1 cars got 12-bolt rears with Muncies and Turbo 350's. So, your LM-1 could be a really nice performer with a little help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode