Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joel

http://vipclassics.com/stk1403668.html
---------------------------------------------
Could this be a real one? It sure looks like a very nice car.Does anyone know the car? A friend of mine emailed it to me and wanted some info and hoped someone knew somthing about the car before he flew out to look at it.

[This message has been edited by allcamaro (edited 12-16-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

"We Specialize in AFFORDABLE Vintage and Classic Automobiles" I like this quote at the top

Looks very nice except for the Caution Fan sticker (thanks clill now I notice every Camaro that has one of those ). Did they paint the heads? They don't look aluminum to me. I wouldn't pay that much for that car unless it had paperwork or I could talk with the original owner. Those heads and JL8 rear are too easy to add. Is that supposed to be one of the original two Pace Cars? If it is, it should have a 427 block at least according to one article I read. Before I bought my car I was offered a documented L78 Pace Car for about $40,000 that was supposed to have had a concours resto. Of course that was two years ago.

With these prices I see, I wonder if could repaint my car and ask $65,000 even without paperwork? Unbelievable! And I thought I paid too much. Just wait till the stock market goes into the toilet completely. Are we seeing a return of the crazy 1989-90 classic market? Only instead of overpriced Ferraris we have Camaros and 1957 Chevy convertibles.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 00, 10:18 PM
Senior Tech

I've seen their shop before and they do have a lot of high dollar cars from vintage to Ferraris to Porsches and Lamborghinis. I haven't been inside, but I've drooled looking through the window!!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 03:03 AM
Senior Tech

The top of the firewall painted orange? oops
Looks like a nice car though, but would like to see that JL8 rear.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 04:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pipeman:
The top of the firewall painted orange? oops
Looks like a nice car though, but would like to see that JL8 rear.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen Z/28's that way (stripe color all the way across) Don't know for sure but I think it is correct that way.

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt

nice car, but whats up with that VIN#
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech
John

Here's the scoop on the cowl paint. I have had more questions on my cowl than almost any other aspect of my car. Mine is a Van Nuys Z/28, Black with white stripes. Factory cars with hood and deck lid stripes assembled in LA had their cowls painted the same color as the stripe. Norwood cars had their cowls painted the same color as the body. On the Pace Car I would be a little leary of the claims such as 1 in 10 with 4-wheel discs. In the first place Chevrolet on kept track of how many were ordered from the factory and not which models got them. I seriously doubt that anyone knows how many Pace Cars received the JL8 option. Here's one for you. Anyone seen or heard about the one and only ZL3 69' Camaro? Hmmmmm...

John
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 04:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
The LA built cars had the top of the firewall painted stripe color.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 05:40 AM
Senior Tech

I believe the only Z11 pace car to get the 4-wheel disc setup was the number one pace car. This car would have other specific things, like a 140 mph speedo, a 375 horse 396 coded for aluminum heads, but the car actually had 840 casting cast iron heads for reliability. I can't remember the build date for the first car, I believe it to be 02D or 03A.

UPDATE- This cannot be the original number one or even the number two pace car, as both real cars that paced the race were automatics.
Dave Birdwell

[This message has been edited by Dave Birdwell (edited 12-17-2000).]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
William

The track Z11s were N607587 & N608347. Both are in collections.

Anything is possible without documentation.

I'm amused by the boasts made by classic car whorehouses. Some months back a guy in Nevada bought a "gennie" Z11 with a 6 cylinder VIN.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
So...has anyone gotten the #'s off this Z-11? I am curious if it is, in fact, a Van Nuys build...

The VIN listed makes no sense and they never state that it is "Z-11" coded.

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---&gt; www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 11/7/00)

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 12-17-2000).]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
John

I think the cowl paint is correct. I used to think only the Van Nuys cars painted their cowls stripe color also. However, last year I stumbled across an original paint RS Z/28 Norwood X33 car that had it's cowl painted white. The PBT is still on the firewall and the white was slightly oversprayed onto the firewall. The owner has had the car in his possesion since 1974 and has never painted it. It's neat car in that it has just a couple of options... RS and Z/28 with 4.10's. No spoilers, flat hood, black std interior and no console.

------------------
69 Z/28
www.camarogenerations.com
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Both Norwood and Los Angeles painted their cowls the color of the Rally Stripes. The painting note is clearly referenced in the Z28 assembly instructions for the Z28 option. Norwood cars just did a neater job of masking the flat surface of the cowl. Los Angeles cars always seem to have more overspray on the visible portion of the top of the firewall.

The number posted for that car has to be the body number because there are no 200000 series VIN numbers in 69 (those are 67 numbers) even with a typo and a number a Norwood VIN of 575868 would be in January sometime,(NO LA VIN that high) well before the first pace cars were assembled. A car with a body number of 275868 would have been built in the early to mid March period, which is correct, although it may be a bit early for a Los Angeles built Pace Car.

The pictures seem to be taken to show as little detail as possible, could be a coincidence, maybe not. Just remember, since LA cars didn't carry the Z11 code that any white and orange SS convertible from the LA plant made after Late February is by default assumed to be a pacecar.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech

Mark, would a LA built SS convertible have the deck stripes on the hood and cowl? I thought that deck stripes were Z/28 and pace car only, although some cars reportly got dealer installed stripes.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

No, only Z28s and Z10/Z11s got their cowls painted stripe color, since they are the only ones that got the Z28 rally stripes from the factory. SS's came with either the D90 hockey stick stripe, or the DX-1 modified bumble bee nose stripe, that had two thin stripes up the center of the hood.

Sometimes there is overspray out into the cowl area from painting the dash, since the dash was painted before the windsheild was installed.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode