Confused about striping - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Question

I am really confused about what the rules for '69 camaro striping are. As far as I know, certain stiping came with certain models (RS,SS, etc.) or certain hoods (cowl induction, SS hood, stock) but then I look and see all kinds of stuff like people with racing stripes and SS stripes, or SS hoods with racing stripes, and im not so sure of my knowledge anymore. Can you guys point me in the right direction? I am still trying to decide on what to make my car look like.(for your info, it is a standard '69 with power steering, 5 leaf springs, AC and a 350, and i am considering making it either an RS clone or an RS/SS clone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech

I think the hockey stripes look good. Everyone and their mother puts the Z-28 style stripes on their Camaro, it's getting old. I have a 68, I am going to be painting it the original color, red, and adding a white bumble bee stripe. These factory style stripes are very subdued yet stand out because they are so unusual nowadays. What do you think?

Steve R.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech

Arrow

z/28 was the only car that had the two big stripes running down the hood and the trunk.
ss had the d90 sport striping often refered to as the hockey stick stripes running on the sides of the car from the base of the front bumper up through the engine # and along the top of the front fender to the door handle (see my car for an example).
if a rs was a non ss or z/28 it had the d96 fender striping which were thin pinstyle stripes running on the side from the front of each wheel well (front and back) along the top of the wheel wells going straight out a few feet past the wheel opening.
you could also get the dx1 front accent striping that sort of looked like a bumble bee stripe on the front running from the sides to the hood, but instead of being one stripe, it stopped before meeting in the middle and ran down each side of the ridge in the hood stopping at about the back of the hood.
the z/28 stripes are by far the most popular these days and you see them on ss and regular cars plus all the clones.
ss hoods were only avail. on ss cars (small or big blocks, the super scoop (cowl induction) hood was an option and could be ordered on any car, but probably most remembered for the z/28. these were not avail. until dec. of '68 so if you see an early '69 or 68 or 67 the hood was put on later.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech

p.s. my hockey sticks are actually incorrect...there should be about a 1" gap where the 396 motor desination is that will be the color of the car to make reading the #'s (396 or 350) easier.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I am most likely making mine an SS clone. If I use the SS hood w/ chrome pieces on it, will i still be able to do Z28 striping or the bumble-bee type striping? I have seen SS's with these stripes but they had cowl induction hoods.

[This message has been edited by SteveTheCamaroGuy (edited 01-22-2000).]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 00, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

see "L89 convertible on eBay by Chris396" in this section. it has the dx striping.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 00, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech

What it boild down to is that it is your car, do with it what you like. If you want the Z style stripes then put them on even though the only SS's they came on were the ones with the pace car option (these came with the cowl hood),then by all means put them on. If you're more interested in making an authentic looking clone then go with something which was actually offered.

Steve R.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 00, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

I guess what im asking is whether or not i can use the super sport hood with z/28 stripes, since I have only seen 1 car with this combo.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 00, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

i've seen a couple like this. usually the chrome stacks wind up right at the edge of the stripe. nothing to keep you from doing it, if you like the way it looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode