Tic-Toc-Tach? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Jon

Lightbulb

Im wondering what is tic-toc-tach, where can i get it and if i could put it in my 68 RS convertible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech

When you ordered a tach in 68 you got what is called a tick tock tach. It is a tachometer similiar (but not the same as) the 67 tach except it has a clock in the middle. Adding one of these requires you to add the console guages or to do something so you can have a fuel guage, which gets replaced by the tick tock tach. Yes you can add it to your car fairly easily. Check ebay or Camaro parts vendors or anywhere Camaro parts are for sale. Check the classifieds here also. Expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $500 or more depending on condition and redline. I have a damaged one that I can't seem to get fixed. If in your travels for one you come across a damaged one let me know so I can make one good one
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 07:48 AM
Tech Team

Jon, A tic-toc tach was the 68 Camaro factory tach. It got it's name tic-toc, because it is a clock/tach, with the clock made inside the tach face. No one currently reproduces them, so they are rare, but you can sometimes find one at a swap meet or on ebay. When you see what they sell for, you might not really want one.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

68--

Why can't yours be rebuilt?

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

Carl, With the cluster out of the car the plastic behind the tach at the back of the cluster got hit and broke. The plastic I could care less about but the very back of the tack mechanism was slightly damaged also. No parts were lost but either way its damaged. The places I contacted pretty much tell me they can't get any parts so if it needs anything then I'm out of luck. I brought this up before and contacted most of the places people told me about but they either tell me no parts are available or that the cost to repair would be more than a replacement because most of the time they just need some kind of adjustment and calibration which they get all the money for. The face and clock are great and its a shame because I personally don't think its that bad but I don't have the money to dish out hundreds for a repair. I don't believe the damage to be that bad. The other problem is it looks like the tip of the needle was broke off and glued back on. Hard to tell. If it was it might effect the calibration of the unit. I really think it sounds worse than it is. So if I could find one that was maybe in a car and the front of the tach was damaged in a accident or something that I could make a good one. No luck so far. I have a 67 tach in my car now that I thought about taking apart for parts but that won't solve my needle problem as they are different due to the clock. Besides the fact that the 67 tach works and looks great so I hate to do that to it. I don't want to sell the 67 tach to buy a 68 tach because things like that just don't work out for me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 00, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

Just found one in the for sale section, and for only $750 dollars! Wow.........KZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode