Who likes the way their exhaust sounds? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 01, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Red face

I have a 68 camaro 327 about 330 hp and im looking to redo my exhaust. Right now I of course have headers, 3 inch pipes connected to awful mufflers. I already have 40 series 2 chamber flowmasters on another vehicle (a 74 van with a 350 about 250 hp minor mods) and it sounds good and healthy, but I want something there you can relaly hear the horsepower/rpms climb. My car revvs to aobut 6200. Does anyone have any preferences or tips (no not exhaust tips). Im looking at anything from 12" glasspacks to dynomax, magnaflow, flowmaster, borla, etc. Specifics on what muffler please (number of chambers etc) is very helpful thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 01, 01:24 PM
Tech Team

my friend has a 396 in his firebird and runs
2 1/2 inch pipe to 28" glass pack and throught 18" long 4" around boom tubes. it sound really good and very loud!
im not sure of all the specs on it but ill talk to him and tell you what he has
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 01, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech

IF u want it loud and like the way flowmasters sound ( I personaly won't run anything else) I would go with the 1 chamber all out race mufflers.. U will love them and they will scream!!!

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 72 gm casting heads,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

1 chamber? whoooooo

if you come home late at night with those mufflers, I hope your neighbors are cool, because after a week or so they wont be...

------------------

Chris's 67 RS 327, Comp280,Flowmasters,shoddy interior, pepboys carpet and rusty floors and trunk can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 03:45 AM
Senior Tech

Just put DynoMax Super Turbos on my 67 RS/SS DropTop, they sound real good, nice muscle car sound without the resonance of the FlowMasters. Nothing but positive comments from others.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 03:52 AM
Senior Tech
John

I have a Chambered exhaust from Year One on my car that, in my opinion, sounds awesome.

------------------
1969 Camaro RS/SS 350
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech

I like the 2.5" dual exhaust with 40 series Flowmasters on my car. VERY healthy sound. Loud, but livable. The neighbors'll notice, but it won't make them call the cops (if I drive nicely, when I arrive home late) - at least they haven't yet. It does get loud when you get on the pedal.

Don't know exactly what difference it might make, but on my monstrosity, there are no tailpipes to speak of - the mufflers are right up behind the bumper, with short tips coming off them.

------------------
Huck
355 SBC powered '87 Chrysler Conquest TSi - 10.3:1, Vortec heads, XE 268H cam, HEI, eq. length shorties, Performer RPM intake, 750 Edelbrock (1407), T-5 and 3.54:1 posi indep. rear
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steven

Ok thank you for the recommendations. Now 1 chamber flowmasters are illegial for the sound reasons, but what if I did 1 chamber with an X pipe to quiet it down and stil give me more HP. And how much will cops want to get me if i ran 1 Chamber?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech

I have Cheery Bomb Turbo mufflers on my Nova, it rumbles in and out of the driveway, and screams when you hit the loud pedal. I have no idea where they came from, but if you want I can crawl under and get the P/N.

------------------
Jim Byrd
1970 350 four bolt, .060, Speed pro hyper pistons, stock crank and rods, '77 vette GM manifold, edelbrock 600cfm, comp magnum 280H cam, '993' 75cc heads, comp springs, manley valves 1.96"-- In 1972 Nova, aka Camaro in grocery getter's clothing.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

I am running Doug Thorley headers, 2 1/2" pipes into 3 chamber Flowmasters on my 396/375 and it sounds great. A little resonance inside the car but when I get on it, it really opens up and sounds awesome....

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...695&p=33013081
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 12:34 PM
Tech Team

Cool

If you want loud,healthy, sound, go with the two chambers flowmasters, I have them and oh boy,
I LOVE THEM
I don't think the one chamber is legal

------------------
68 RS ORIGINAL 327,350 trans.4 BARREL 650 CFM EDELBROCK,
HEADERS,2CHAMBERS FLOW MASTERS,3" PIPE.
12 BOLT REAR END 331 GEARS
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech

I run flowtech terminators on my truck and really like them...they arent as deep sounding at idle as a lot of mufflers (and no resonation) but really bark when you punch it. I had full length tailpipes with 3 1/2" echo chambers which really made for a unique sound, but it is pretty loud like this. I just cut the tailpipes off last week and have 1 foot of pipe after the muffs exiting in front of the rear axle now...it sounds tough at idle but the low speed resonation is brutal! Mucho quieter at cruise and WOT though. I will also be adding an H-pipe and hooker aerochambers one of these days...got the parts just dont have the time (too many honey do's).

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
Cool

I just had new pipes and muffler installed on my '69 Z28, and I was very pleased with the sound. You don't hear anything in 4th gear going down the road but sitting at an idle it really brings out the sound of the cam and going through the gears it's very nice. I installed 2 1/4" pipes from the headers to an 80 series crossflow Flowmaster and 2" polished tailpipes. I bought the muffler and tail pipes from D&R Classic.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 08:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I just put new 40 series Delta Flows on my 68 convertible. Dual with 2 1/4 pipes that exit in the stock location. I spent a lot of time listening to other cars and chose this set-up. The Delta Flow has less interior sound level. I have noticed a few things in my search. 1. The larger the pipe, the louder the sound. 2. If you exit in the stock location and point the pipes straight down, you get more sound and rumble. If the pipes are angled toward the rear, a little less. Straigh out the back and the sound level is much less. 3. An H or X pipe does not seem to reduce the sound level at any RPM other than idle, and even then the reduction is very small. They do even out the exhaust pulses from the pistons that fire within 90 degrees of each other, and therefore you have a little less "pop" (smoother, more even sound).
You will find as many opinions as responses. Listen to as many cars as you can. Good Luck!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech

I have headers, and 2.5 inch pipe running into terminators. there is NOTHING like hearing this thing rev before I drop the clutch and let the tires spin... it gives me goosebumps thinking about it. As I said before, if 40 series purr, then terminators growl.

[This message has been edited by lil_beast_67 (edited 07-16-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode