Testing a fuel pump - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I few weeks ago I came to a stop driving home but managed to limp the car back. What a PITA. I saw zero fuel pressure. When I pulled the mechanical pump out I saw that the pushrod was bent. Some folks told me they never heard of it happening on the road and could have happened when the previous owner installed it. Made sense to me. I just got the car back together ( wound up doing motor mounts, tranny mount, etc. ) and I lost pressure about 5 miles from home.

If the pump is OK, can I test it by disconnecting the line to the carb, using my remore starter and spinning the motor with my finger over the outlet to see if it is pumping air? If ( I'm grasping for approaches now ) the rod is bent again, what can cause it? I have a new tank and did not take the sock off. Can I blow compressed air from the front and blow it off? I think its a short list to check but I'm very frustrated right now. Thanks.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 09:13 AM
Team Member
John

Pull the pump outlet line off and replace with a fitting and short rubber hose; start and run the engine (with a helper) on the fuel in the float bowl - at idle, pump should put out a pint of fuel in 30-45 seconds. Are you still using the old pump? Internal linkage and/or diaphragm could be damaged. I've never seen a bent pushrod either, but there are a lot of Bubbas out there who could find a way to do it, I suppose. New pushrod ($8.00) and new pump ($20.00) should fix it. A blast of shop air may blow the sock off.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 10:00 AM
David Pozzi

There is a bolt hole in the front of the block that intersects the fuel pump rod. It is the upper right front bolt hole. These holes were used to attach the motor mounts in 55-57 chevys.
If you have a ground wire or anything attached with a bolt in that hole and the bolt is very long, it will go in far enough to bend the fuel pump rod.
The factory manual details how to use the hole and a long bolt to hold the fuel pump rod up in place for easier fuel pump installation.
A short bolt must be placed in the hole for normal use or you will have an oil leak.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

There was a short bolt in there but who knows how the pump ( not original ) was installed. Thanks for the pointers.

On a separate note - how do you clean the brass fuel filter elements?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode