'69 Instrument Cluster - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Question

Has anyone found a repro instrument cluster for '69?? NPD advertises one, but says its still in development (going on 2 yrs now). I know Dakota dashes has a digital for $700 - so someone has to make the new bezel. Assuming they still aren't available, has anyone had any luck painting the chrome edge trim on these? Silver spray paint just doesn't cut it for me. Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 03:47 AM

Unhappy

I inquired directly to Dakato about their dash, and the $700 they quote is to install their gauge cluster in your existing dash. They do not include a new dash.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 07:03 AM

I believe Classic Industries is the maker of the repro 69 instrument cluster. Whether they are still available or not I don't know. If you have patience buy chrome spray paint and spray it into a cap. Then take a toothpick and use it as a brush to redo the trim. Go slow and don't spread it out to thin. The results are pretty good, but tedious.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 08:06 AM

Cool

According to my latest Classic catalog they still are carrying the dash for 199.95 Part # is K322.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech

Mark Stielow did a nice job of a rebuild of the '69 dash in his Thrasher Camaro (Chevy High Performance magazine). The guages are available in kits from Summit but the dash panel insert was a custom piece. In general it doesn't look like it would be too tough to fabricate the dash panel and take it out for welding. Then it's a bit of hole-drilling and connecting into the wiring harness. I'd guess the hardest part is actually cutting the stock housing out without destroying it. I have this one tucked away for a project one day when I run out of other things to do.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
'99 HD Road King Classic
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 09:38 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Exclamation

I have no first hand experence but I chose not to replace mine with an aftermarket unit. I was warned by a Camaro parts retailer that none of the repro's fit properly and getting the gauages installed requires cutting and filing... Proceed with caution! Post how it went if you do use a repro...

I will be using 2 items found at hobby shops to repair mine.. A putty, kinda like bondo for models and this chrome foil stuff. You rub it on to the area you want chrome on. I don't know the full details; how well it sticks etc. but I do know it looks good!!!

------------------
...DjD
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 10:36 AM

I painted the edges in my '68 with a silver paint pen. You can pick them up anywhere that sells models.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 02:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

The chrome foil seems like a good idea I haven't thought of before. It's used on models and it's very thin, so it sticks to any crevice or irregularity very well. It would be relatively fragile, however.

Another method would be to chrome the entire instrument panel and paint the required areas except the trim. There are companies that still do this I believe.

Larry
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 03:08 PM
Senior Tech

I notice Classic Industries also nows has in its catalog the clear lexan gage covers. Has anybody tried these? or Know of a way to get rid of scrathes?

------------------
68SS ZZ4, 4sp T-10, 12 bolt, getting painted

78Z28, 330hp vortec, TH350, 10 bolt (just finished)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 00, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

With regard to the scratches on the plastic guage covers, I know you can buff them out. I think Meguire's has a paste that you can use to buff clear plastic.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 00, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

FYI - I checked with Classic Industries today and the '69 cluster still isn't available. Someday...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 00, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Lightbulb

I just remembered reading about a couple in Colorado that rebuilt a 69. They used the dash and bezel from a 72 Nova which they state "neatly slots into the Camaro Dash".
It looks pretty good. If you can find the Nov. 98 issue of Hot Rod Magazine you can find the article. Good Luck.

------------------
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 00, 12:41 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
jm69ss,

There is a shop in San Bruno CA. (Steve's Camaro) They may still have a repro. At least they did several months ago. They are real honest and I didn't get it for my '69 as they warned me about the poor fit you get with repro dash pods. Give them a call @ 650-873-1890

------------------
...DjD
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 00, 02:30 AM
CD

Last year I changed my dash . I had to bye a used one from D&R classic in ILL. It was in rough shape and i had to clean and paint it , but the one in my car was broken so i had to make it work. I used parts from the one in the car and the used one . I used a paint pen to do the trim it took awile but came out pretty good. The bad thing about all of this is about 3 months later at a Super Chevy Show in PA. I found a dash in perfect shape for sale , and like a dummy i didnt bye it and it was real cheap

CD 69 z/28 clone
72 z/28 original
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 00, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll clean up the one I have. I started on it last night and it is in real good shape except for a couple of cracks. I came up with a good way to repair the cracks and it turned out great. I pickep up a 30cc syringe with a small needle from the drugstore and filled it with superglue. Then I gently applied enough pressure to slightly open the crack and injected the glue. Held it tight for a minute, wiped off the excess b-4 it dried and the crack is gone. Didn't mess up the texture either. After I paint it, I don't think you will be able to tell. Just thought I'd pass this along. Next will be to repair a couple of small cracks in my console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode