switching to floor shifter. need help - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

i'm relatively new to camaro's, although i have worked on vettes. i have a 67' camaro w/ a powerglide and a column shifter. i want to know the name of the peice i should be putting in place of the column shift on the column when i replace it w/ a floor shifter. i want to know what to be looking for when i search through my parts magazines, they can be really misleading. also, is it possible to hook up a tach to a powerglide w/ no tach currently. i like working on enigines w/ a tach, the vettes i've worked on had them, and its really nice to have when tuning a carb. i do plan on putting a 327 or 350 into my camaro so i'm basically setting it up for the engine swap. when changing engines, should i be changing out the powerglide for a 350hydro or 700-R4, or stick w/ the powerglide. i dont plan on racing the car, but i do like the real of a 327 or 350 when i'm driving. thanks for the assistance in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 05:04 PM
Tech Team

Can't help much on the column/floor shift conversion, other than it might be worth your while to find a used non-column shift steering column.

The tach has nothing whatever to do with the tranny...this is distributor run, and should be a relatively simple problem to solve.

------------------
1976 Type LT Restification (in progress)

1968 2 door sport coupe...the toy!

1971 Camaro RS, all original, 1 owner...wife's baby!

The Monday Nite Car Club! (New site)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 05:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ruffin

Send a message via Yahoo to Ruffin
I'm doing the same conversion on my '69. However, I'm not replacing the column shifter with other hardware. I've punched out the shift lever retaining in and removed the lever. I plan to just leave the steering column in place. The transmission linkage will be removed and replaced with the clutch linkage.

Yes, it's a hack job but I doubt anyone will notice it. If you're looking for something more "complete" there are plenty of aftermarket steering columns without the column shifter. Most range 250.00 to 400.00 depending on options.

Ruffin

------------------
'69 307 - first time restorer.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 06:40 AM
Kevin

Chevybuilder, you would have to take your column almost completely apart to convert the orig column to standard (if you could find just the one part). It's much easier to get a standard column and swap them. Too bad you don't have a 69, I have some spare 69 columns and I'm in NJ.

Put a want ad in the wanted section of this site for a column and also watch Ebay.

Later, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Chevybuilder, if you're intested in buying a column from a floor shift 68 (non-tilt, black) send me an e-mail. I really need to get a list of parts together and post them in the for sale section. Maybe when I get some free time !!

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech

save a headache,

http://www.shiftworks.com/

or the exact page
http://www.shiftworks.com/camaro.htm

------------------

Chris's 67 RS 327, Comp280,Flowmasters,shoddy interior, pepboys carpet and rusty floors and trunk can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 05:07 PM

Is your car a six cylinder or eight. If its a six I believe the powerglide is not the same as the eight cylinder glide. Also the shifter parts for the powerglide can be hard to find. You need the kickdown parts and the shaft going into the trans may even be different. Its easier to hook up the shifter to a th350 or 700r4 because you don't need the kickdown parts. I just switched from a powerglide to a 700r4 but I already sold the glide and shift linkage.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

it is a 6 (not for long ) and the powerglides are the same i believe. is a 67 and 68 column interchangeable? thx for the assistance guys.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

do i have to modify the trans in any way to switch to a floor shift. i mean do i have to modify what connects the linkage to the trans? thx.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 06:38 PM

The six cylinder powerglide will bolt up. I know there are some differences, but I'm not sure what they are. The kickdown linkages are completely different. I think the the shift lever on the trans is different but I'm not positive. The problem with the shift lever is that the lever is welded to the shift rod which goes into the trans. Some disassembly of the trans is required to swap the parts. If you have a 67 assembly manual you can see the diffence in the linkages. I could fax you the pages if you need them. Where in NJ are you?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 01, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

i'm near trenton. thx for the info, i'll look for an assembly manual, if i cant find one i'll contact you about yours. thanks for the info.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 01, 11:46 AM
Kevin

chevybuilder67, Hey, I used to live in Trenton, near Cadwalder Park! There are lots of decent shows in the area, once you get your car done!

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode