1969 Z28 JL8? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know what the JL 8 code means on a 69 Z28 ? If so, any production #'s . Also production #'s for same car with 302 cross ram. Thanks

Looking at buying this car, big $$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

The JL-8 was the option code for rear disc brakes - very rare option. It was offered on models other than the Z-28 as well. I would think that an original JL-8 car would be worth more than a car that had a JL-8 rear axle swapped in. This means that you would need documentation (PoP, build sheet, or window sticker) that the car you are looking at is an original car. But, JL-8 assemblies are expensive, so having one on the car does add some value.

The cross-ram intake was never offered in a production car. They were over the counter items that could be purchased at any dealership. Anyone can add an x-ram set-up to a Z-28, but complete set-ups are relatively rare and expensive. Again, having an x-ram on a car will add to its value, but there is no such thing as an "original" x-ram car.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech

JL8 is factory 4 Wheel Disc Brakes. VERY RARE.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 04:01 PM

4 wheel dics. per camaro white book 206 were made. for the $$$ hes probably asking he best have documentation to back it up. couldnt find numbers for cross ram option and there might not be any as you could buy it over counter as well. documentation it was ordered with car would be best.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the info. Looks like i'll have to do some research on this car ??

It is sweet though !!! But is it worth
$70 K ?

[This message has been edited by rick42 (edited 06-26-2000).]
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech

Directly off my 1969 numbers matching original Z-28 car, intake manifold and top, 2x4, base, 3941126, top, 3941130, carbs (both), LIST-4295-AAS, 585 cfm, dual feed, double pumpers. Driver side carb is mounted backwards, pass side is mounted forward. Both carbs use a crescent groove in the throttle baile to open the secondaries (center-squirter style), not typical aftermarket double pumper type linkage.

Distributor is point type,1111480, has special curve installed with 2x4 intake. Vacuum advance, 1116201, is retained but disconnected from vacuum source, plugged off. Initial timing is reset to 18 deg/[email protected] rpm idle. Curve is 18 crankshaft deg, starts 1000 rpm, limits 2400 rpms.

If the car has a fibreglass factory hood, there should be a tub/foam seal around the oblong air filter to seal it to the hood. Non-fibreglass hoods are not connected to hood by tub/seal from kit, just open element oblong filter used.

If I remember correctly, 1967 kits were only vended to racers, very rare, only 20 or so kits made. 1968 and 1969 were sold to anyone who had the 302 and the money for the kit.

This vehicle has the power boosted JL-8 4 wheel disc package.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 00, 09:16 PM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Arrow

Is this the car you are referring too? 69 JL8

It sure is pretty in pictures. If I had 70k kicking around.......
Good Luck. Trade ya for a 69 SSRS that neeeds paint

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 )
My Chevs
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech

Seems way overpriced IMHO by a factor of 2. Restored 69 Z's are ~ $25K + $5K JL-8 + $6K x-ram = $36K. The description never quite said this was a factory JL-8 car. If you've got money to burn it's a great looking car. For that price I'd be looking at a Yenko.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 02:37 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

$70K is way too high. A well documented(protect-o-plate or window sticker at least) JL8 with matching #'s and crossram(not original to any car, it was an over the counter item) is worth $50-$55K at the most and the $55K being an RS/Z28 JL8 crossram car. A non documented JL8 is probably worth $35-$40K, but remember that you can put a complete JL8 setup on a regular Z28 and pass it off as an original JL8 especially if there is no documentation. I know where there is a #'s matching, non-restored, documented(window sticker) JL8 car for around $45K and he also had a crossram that wasn't on the car that he would sell with it. Red and black car. Just don't pay too much for something that isn't documented.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 02:41 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

For that price I would definitely pass if the car doesn't have documentation. I-Man is right. As far as the cross ram goes, the cross ram was an over the counter option not a factory option. That cross ram in the trunk urban legend doesn't seem to want to die. You're best bet would be to find a JL8 car and put a cross ram on it yourself. That way you can save $20-30,000. If that's the car that I'm thinking of why aren't the carbs on it? Like a classic car owner actually cares about gas mileage on a show car. The following was a machinist's opinion

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust

[This message has been edited by Chris396 (edited 06-27-2000).]
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 02:46 AM
Senior Tech

If you ask me 70k is too much. I can't think of a small block car that could be worth 70k. One of the Camaro vendors advertises they have a 69 RS/Z with 1800 miles. When this car was for sale when they bought it it wasn't that much. If anything I would think a 1800 mile 69 RS/Z original black with black deluxe and EVERYTHING original would be worth more than a Z with JL8 and crossram. Like mentioned these are easily added and you need documentation to pay more than the option by itself. If a crossram is worth $5000 then there is no reason to add more than $5000 to a car that has it without documentation. But its your money anyway to do what you please. Also keep in mind this is the place (I think) that used to have for sale the famous orange 69 L89 conv that was a fake. They did take the car off the market and did the right thing and this is not a hate message towards them. I am just saying that they are telling you what they believe to be true just like anyone else. Because someone says its real, don't assume it. Investigate it yourself or you are taking a chance. This is true for any car bought anywhere. That might be the way the car sat on the dealership lot, but it would be nice to know BEFORE you bought it. I guess all I am saying is if I had 70k to spend on a thirty year old car that was supposedly so rarely optioned I would want some kind of proof, not what someone tells me to be the truth
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Wow, you guys are good ! That is not the car I'm looking at though. Mine is blue white stripes and black interior. Supposedly 3 yr. nut and bolt restoration, documented by Jerry McNiche over $100,000. in restoration costs, this car is perfect. 1969 Z28 JL-8 Cross Ram
Chambered Exhaust
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 04:29 AM
Tech Team

If it is documented by Jerry MacNeish, I would followup with him for confirmation. His number at Camaro Hi-Perf is 410-781-0418. If you are serious, I would have him do a consult on the car. He will give you the estimated value of the car and verify the originality. Use that estimated value to begin your negotiations.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 04:42 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I just got done painting one for a friend that had a ton of paper work with it and he didnt even get 40k for it, if that helps you out as far as figuring out what one is worth.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 00, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech

Nope, that's not my car.

Mine came from the original owner, who had the factory fibreglass cowl-induction hood, 2x4 setup and a couple of other dealer installed options done when he bought it.

Mine has the original paperwork, build sheets invoices for all mods from the dealer, and the p[arts taken off. That is why I bought this car in 1973, it was just the most complete matching numbers car I had ever seen with all the documentation of parts and optional parts installed, with the parts taken off to boot.

I have never found another deal like this one, very lucky, and I own lots of completly restored musclecars. With this car, I hit the mother load, but just once. The only thing I had to replace was the driver's side front bottom seat covering, from dealer, was $29.40 plus tax in 1977.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode