Hi-Flow Water Pump? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I need a water pump for my big block that's going in my '69. Any recommendations on a quality hi-flow unit? Are the ones from summit and/or Milodon decent units? The application is for the street. thanks much

------------------
'69 Restification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 02:33 PM

The Edlebrock Victor Series is what I am running on my 396 Big Block. It was highly recomended to me.

------------------
Mike http://www.webwowser.com/cmrib/ribs
69' SS/RS Frame Off Restoration
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Cool

cmrib - I checked out your ride and I'm REALLY digging on your brushed aluminum valve covers. Very sweet. Thanks for the tip although I must admit the Edelbrock Victor series water pumps are a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Does anyone know of any moderately priced (around $80-$90) hi-flow water pumps that flow well and are reliable for a 98% daily driver 2% hold on oh [email protected]!! ride?

------------------
'69 Restification

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 00, 06:06 PM
Tech Team

A buddy of mine has run a Flow Kooler on his BB for 3 years ,with no problems. I think they for around 90.00 from Summit or Jegs.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 02:03 AM
Senior Tech

Stewart makes a few different "stage" pumps that I have heard good things about. If you order one from Jegs or Summit, make sure they have it in stock though. I think Stewart maybe having a little shipping problem.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 02:35 AM
Senior Tech

last year I had a summit hi flow water pump on my 79 .after a week the hub the pulley and fan bolt to pull off . summit replaced the pump ,I replaced the pulley ,fan ,shroud ,and radiator $ .2nd pump did the same thing 1 month later,I got a refund and had to replace the same parts again . So I put a plate in a stock pump and never had another problem .I think I paid 100.00 for the summit pump ,a plate and stock pump was about 40.00 !
good luck

------------------
stock? 67
69BB in resto.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 03:38 AM
Senior Tech

Your local GM High Performance Parts Boys have a nice Hi flow water pump. I used one on my BB and it works fine. I used the "shorty" style.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech

I have a Stewart on my sb - nice unit. I bought it direct - you can check out their website for more info. http://www.stewartcomponents.com/

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for the great info guys...I checked out the Stewart site and their Stage 1 looks like the ticket. Also, they do have a "shipping" problem - per their website, they had a fire in their warehouse and aren't accepting orders until Dec. 1. You'd think there will be a significant amount of backorders...so it will probably take until January before they're able to turn their product around quickly.

------------------
'69 Restification
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Stewart offers excellent high quality pumps. I ran one for years on a ford engine and now on my current sb chevy engine. Just make sure you buy a Robert shaw high flow thermostat. These pumps flow so well that they can actually force close a normal style thermostat. (I didn't belive it either until after installing their pump) Stewart furter modifies their thermostats by drilling 3 3/16" holes on the side of popet housing, but this is easilly done at home. Their factory did burn to the ground, however call lane automotive or go to www.laneautomotive.com I just purchased one of their last aluminum sb long style pumps, but the sales guy said he had plenty in stock for the big block. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode