I'm at a loss, the 67 motor may be trashed - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Well,I entered the 67 Camaro in a car show a few weeks ago. That was the last time I have driven her! It was another week or so till we had weather worthy on the weekend for driving the car (I won't drive it to work, too many idiots). Well, I went to drive her two weekends ago, and the battery was dead. I found the source of that (crappy horn on a Grant steering wheel) and fixed the problem and charged the battery. No big deal. But the real problem came when the battery was charged and I started to crank her. It sounded like the whole motor was coming out!!! Definate metal on metal!!! It sounded like a sledge hammer hitting about a 3 inch diameter steel rod!!! I suspect a dropped lifter, possibly a rod, but I can't really diagnose this. Quite honestly, I am scared to try to crank the car again, for fear of doing more damage to what ever has broken. I have never heard of something like this when the car was running perfectly when I parked it after the car show. It has been a really nice driveway decoration ever since. Now I am finally over being so pissed off at the car, and ready to start to get her back again. I couldn't even talk about it for a week or two. I am at a loss to tell a mechanic what to look for. I don't know a lot about the internals on this particular motor. This isn't a number matching car, and I am going on the seller's word as to the internal componants. I am also going on his word with the milage on the motor. I did check out all the verifiable information, and did have some paperwork but not to the extent as I would document. I do know what I can see, and the car was very quick. From what I can see, this is exactly the way I would have chose to build this motor. I did have it checked out well, and I had good compression on all cylinders, and no leaks. She drives like a dream! I have had absolutly no warning signs of any motor problems. The car has been babied since I bought her, and I have had a ton of mechanical work done. There was problems with the front end, brakes, and some of the other areas. But nothing I didn't expect to find. And I am at the mercy of a good mechanic. And the big issue is that mine may have shown himself as a little less than trustworthy. I'm not going into all the details, but I have trusted him for years and now I have seen a little different side. I don't have the tools, garage or time to look for the problem myself. I want to get an idea of what is wrong before I walk into a shop with an open checkbook. I know none of you can tell me what is wrong with the car and this information is really vague, but I am looking for a starting place to try and diagnose this. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Yes, I am very frustrated at this point. Thanks to any who can give a little advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

This may not be your problem but I had freak problem like yours. The 327 ran beautiful, parked one day. Went in the garage to fire it up and it was banging all to heck. The motor maybe had 2k miles on it.
I pulled the engine to check everything, I started to unbolt the clutch disc and the crank rotated a little too easy. After dropping the pan and moving the crank, she was busted perfectly at the rod journal. In a way I was lucky it happend at a low rpm. Near as I can figure is someone dropped the crank at some point to have a fracture.

------------------
68 SS 396
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 07:31 PM
David Pozzi

I hate to even guess.
But two things come to mind, just a shot in the dark.
1. the engine may have kicked back on the starter and broken the nose or I have even seen the outside corner of the block break off. check the starter out.

2. I was standing next to a friends Camaro and heard a snap!
His valve spring broke without the engine running! We both heard it break!
I put an air hose into the spark plug hole, changed the spring, and sent him home.

You could have a valve train problem of some kind, broken valve keeper, retainer, or spring, it would cause a valve to contact the piston.

So, if possible pull the starter and valve covers and take a good look.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, I thought starter at first, but this was much more than a starter noise. My 73 had a bad place in the flywheel, and made a God awful noise ever now and again when it hit just that right spot. Now, I did have the starter replaced right before this happened. As a matter of fact, about 150 miles ago. I know this is all just a guess and shot in the dark, I'm just looking for a starting place. Thanks guys and keep the ideas coming!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech

Try pulling out all of the plugs and check for damage to the plug...if they all look normal then pull the cap off of the distributor and have someone bump the car over with the starter...see if the rotor turns (and also the fan blade)...if it does then chances are that it isnt too terribly serious. My first thought was also the starter...either broke the nose of busted the flywheel. Either can make a pretty nasty noise when they go. Is the car an auto or stick?

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech

Check out that new starter anyway, particularly if it's a rebuilt. The valve train can also cause some god awful sounds. I think David's advice is on the money. It's not a lot of work to pull the starter and valve covers and since you're a little leary of your mechanic, it might save you some money.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 01, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you!!! You have given me a direction to start. Now, I'm gonna roll up my sleeves and go turn a wrench or two and find out what is wrong with my car! Travis, the car has a Turbo 350 Auto in it. It's modded out pretty decent for a start. I just hope this doesn't set me back on the future plans too far. Many thanks again!!

------------------
1967 Camaro: 350 motor, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, Turbo 350 Transmission with B&M shift kit and shifter, Posi Traction, more mods to come!

1991 RS Camaro: Black, purchased new, Excellent condition and almost stock

[This message has been edited by Rottie (edited 07-16-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode