I NEED HELP WITH MY 2000 V6 CAMARO? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Question

PLEASE!!?? i need help in enhancing my performance in my 2000 V6 camaro. everything is stock. I really need some advice because i'm new to this whole racing thing. i just want to get the best performance out of my car. I'd like to maybe hit 10 - 12 sec. in a 1/4 mile race. so i can take out these DAMN IMPRTS RICE ROCKET WANNA BE AMERICAN RACING CARS!!!!!

sincerely,

KRS44778
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 08:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
It'll cost...but the best way is to bolt on a supercharger (centrifugal blower).

Could also try the nitrous route....but I don't think that will get you much below the high 13's....
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 08:41 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

You are joking... right?

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 09:32 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
I just thought I'd give him some line....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile

thanks mccory....how much would it cost exactly to get a supercharger? and how many horses will it add approximately? this is without the nos though...i don't want to kill of my engine to fast man.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Smile

what do you propose i do then lonnie67? cuz i'm new to this man? i just want to know?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 00, 02:34 AM
hideaway

you,re a JOKE if you can,t take those rice burners you don,t even need a pacer to drive.if there was an import that could outrun a camaro then it needs to be in the smithsonian.lol-----GET REAL????better yet if there is a camaro that gets beat by an import it needs CRUSHING.anyway this is a first gen site.so go away bad dream.the word import turns my stomach.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 00, 04:21 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
hideaway - even if this was a joke your response is inappropriate!

krs44778 - to get you V6 into the 10's would require thousands of dollars and it wouldn't be very streetable...

Your both new here, may I suggest you spend time reading other posts and use the search feature and see
what others have done to increase performance. There is even "Race combinations the work linked to the
main page of this site.

Let's keep it civil!!!

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 00, 05:31 AM
Tech Team
Rob G

usually people with newer camaros and with V8s stroke their engine to 383 then add an blower and get into the low 12 to high 11s easy. I don't know if theres a such kit like that for a v6.

Rob
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 00, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Of course you realize this will void your new car warranty! Should have opted for the Z28 or Firebird Trans AM, the amount of $$ it will take will far exceed the loss from trading it in for the Z!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 00, 09:23 AM
Tech Team

I agree with elcamino. You may seriously want to consider trading for a Trans Am or Z-28. If you really want to go fast, it would be the cheaper route than throwing money at your V6. After driving the V6, you may find that a relatively stock late model V8 is plenty quick enough. If stock doesn't cut it, I'm sure you could sink some money in it and still spend less than you did on the 2000 Camaro. I bet I could take my Trans Am(purchased used), stroke it to a 383, and supercharge it for less than a 2000 Camaro costs.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...4666&a=3131121

[This message has been edited by Buckeye (edited 07-01-2000).]
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 00, 05:06 PM

Check out www.projectvirus.com

This guy has literally thousands in his car (3.8 V6), and is no where close to 10 sec. Do beware, though, he is full of BS with some things. Still, i have several friends that are already in over $2k in mods, and they do not stand a chance against my (relatively) stock '99 Z28. I do like the V6 cars, they are great for scaring mustang owners, but they are not 10-12 sec cars.

Good Luck..

Chad www.atlantacfa.com
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 00, 06:11 PM

Uh, I don't know what kind of money you are willing to spend, but to be totally honest it really wouldn't be worth it. I mean, don't get me wrong, the 3.8 is the absolute best 6 GM has ever made, but performance parts aren't readily available. I'd find a Z or an SS (I personally own a 97 SS w/ a 6 speed...www.barncandles.com/Chucks.htm) to trade your car in for. That'd be your best bet, then put a few dollars into it and run low 13's or 12's without even opening the motor up. I am in the process of rebuilding the LT1 in mine right now so I'm giving it the big "once over". No, I'm not stroking it. I don't want all that low end. The LT1's already have enough low end torque, no need to make it worse. To run them kind of times in the quarter mile you want TOP end. So I kept the displacement at 350 and sent the heads and intake off to Extrude Hone (extrudehone.com) to have them AFM'd. They're process is far superior to even CNC porting (in my opinion) so they are able to get some extremely incredible flow numbers! With the stock 1.94/1.50s they will get my heads flowing 300-310 cfm at a half inch lift! That's some major air flow!! Better then most aftermarket heads with bigger valves... Anyways, that's not all that I'm doing, but the list of mods is too much to list. I wouldn't even know where to start, but I can tell you that I am expecting to be in the 10's on slicks with the N/A bugger. That's enough to waste any jap crap that comes along Throw on a supercharger and I'd really be bookin...in a daily driver with great street manners!
If trading for a V8 equipped car is out of the question I would consider the following.
1. Better induction. I'd put in a K&N filter at the least! But I do know that there are some nice intake kits out there for the 3.8's. Call Summit at 800-230-3030 and ask them what they have. Normally they are around 200-300 dollars.
2. Granetalli Motorsports MAF (mass air flow) sensor. It flows lots better than stock, plus is has a better chip in it.
3. Good cat-back exhaust. I'd look into a flowmaster. You should be able to bolt their LS1 system up to your car if they don't make one specifically for the 3.8.
4. Headers. A pain in the rear to put in, but if you get a good set the gains are worth it.
5. Cam. I'd look for something with about 220-230 duration w/ around .500 lift, and 114 lobe seperation. BUT, I'm not sure who makes hydraulic roller 3.8 cams so you'd have to shop around.
6. Heads, intake, and throttle body. I'd send the heads and intake off to Extrude Hone. To do my heads it is only going to cost 750 dollars. Not sure with a 6. Probably a hundred cheaper or so.
7. Or you could throw on a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous. I'd stay away from nitrous though if you keep the stock hyperuetectic pistons.

I'm not sure how much you'd be spending total, but it's probably just about as much as you would on a V8 that would go even faster with the same stuff.

Hope this helps
Later
Chuck
97 SS #1384
68 RS/SS 396 in the restoration process...

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 00, 04:31 PM

I have a 1994 Camaro Rs. I would do nothing to your car what so ever. The RS was designed not for speed but more for the luxury. The V-8 was more for the speed freaks. You will be wasting alot of time and money to gain very little. Enjoy what you have. Beleive me when a booty call comes it will be how the car looks and not how fast car goes.

mark
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 11:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
Talking

I owe a 96RS and there's not to much you can do, unless you want to spend big bucks for custom parts. You can add headers, a cat back exhaust, a cold air induction set up, and a MSD DIS-4 ignition contol. Also, RKsport.com has a powerdyne supercharger and nitrous. As far as I know, RKSport has the only set of headers available for the 3.8. You can modify the suspension as well. Even with all those mods, your car might crack the high 13's. If you can afford a z28 or trans am, get one. They are that fast stock. Unless you really like the v-6 and the gas mileage, go with the z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode