69 8-Track Stereo Wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Have a question for those of you with a STOCK Delco 8 track player and AM/FM Stereo Radio in a 68 or 69 Camaro.

The 8 track option required 4 speakers, 2 in the kick panel and two in the rear deck or convertible well. The AM/FM multiplex system requires the same speakers. When the two options are combined (if that is an allowable combination) what does the under dash wiring look like? Is there a Y type connector that allowed outputs from both systems to feed into the speaker connector?

Was the AM and AM/FM mono radios the only correct radio available when an 8 track was ordered, as they only used the single dash speaker.

For anyone who has added an AM/FM stereo to a car with an 8 track stereo, if there is no Y connector did you just tap the wiring harness to the speakers? Does it work properly?

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 05:26 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Good question.

I also have an 8-Track that I am going to put in my car. I have a factory AM-FM multiplex. There was only one speaker in the rear, one in the dash, and two in the kick panels.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...9124&a=8603468
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 07:21 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Cool

Mark,I believe you need a special harness from multiplex to 8-trk.I have the 1968 Delco book,but I don't know if it's the same for 69.I have a 68 with this factory option,I'll look at the book later tonight.

After thinking about this awhile,the radio outputs run through the 8-trk player.There is no y-connector just a four channel input.I'll still check later!

[This message has been edited by 68L30 (edited 03-19-2001).]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

I don't have enough connectors for a feedthru type arrangement, I've got a three wire connector (for power), and a 6 wire connector for the underdash heat sink, and an 8 wire connector for speaker outputs.

Unless the extra wire in the power harness is a mono output from the radio that the 8 track then turns into a stereo signal I don't know how this works.

I don't have an original AM/FM multiplex system, but I do have a semi-modern AM/FM cassette deck that I don't want to wire to the single dash speaker if I can help it, since it is the primary sound system in the car.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 11:40 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Cool

The x-tra wire powers the radio.The power is fed through the 8-trk as well.The 8-trk shuts off the power to the radio when the tape is installed so both do not run at the same time.Sort of a failsafe.Still going to look for the diagram when I get home from work.Remember the speakers use a common ground as well!

Steve

[This message has been edited by 68L30 (edited 03-19-2001).]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 12:29 PM
Tech Team
Steve

I think your out of luck Mark.You need a multiplex for a 8-trk,and a 8-trk for a multiplex.Both of these are different from there basic counterparts.Looks like you will need to make that wire harness after all,shouln't be all that hard.

first connector:green,black,red
green=front fader for factory radio
black=power to radio
red=12 volts

second connector:black top,brown top
blue,black bott,brown b,purp
black top=left spk.ft
brown top=left rear
blue=right rear
black bottom=right front
brown bottom=left front
purple=right front

last connection of six: yellow,gray,ect.
these are for the convector(heat sink)

one last wireis the ground,should have a eyelet to fasten to floor under the console.

If you power your radio thru the 8-trk,dont hook up the green fader wire.Splice your outputs from your radio into the speaker plugs.Your radio will be shut off (automaticly) when the tape is inserted so you won't hear both units.

Steve

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

That's great info, thanks I'll splice in the current sanyo AM/FM cassette until I inherit a fortune and can afford a correct AM/FM multiplex radio.

There are 6 connectors for the 4 speakers, it appears that there are at least 2 grounds in that connector. Does the manual tell you which are the grounds. I would assume they are the two black wires, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info again.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

For those of you wanting to reinstall or add a console mounted 8 track heres the deal on the required wiring harnesses.

The 8 track itself comes with 3 leads, one 6 conductor cable group goes to the dash mounted heat sink, You will need the heat sink to connect to this connector. There are two other wiring harnesses required in addition to the stereo speaker harness up under the dash. M&H electrical Fabricators sells the stereo speaker harness as part number 33430. This is the wiring from the central 6 pin connector under the dash to each of the 4 speakers in the car. This harness will not reach the harness in the console from the 8 track player, there is another speaker extension wire harness required for this. This part is M&H part number 35939 (equates to GM part number 6295249). The last harness required is the tape power feed harness, that feeds power to the deck and brings power back from the deck to the radio. This harness is not listed in M&Hs catalog but they can make it. It is GM part number 6297605. M&H has the blueprints for this harness but one of the connectors is no longer available, luckily for me it is the end under the dash that connects to the wiring harness for power and ground. I cut that wire long ago when I replaced the original radio with an AM/FM cassette.

I talked to John at M&H at 562-926-9562 if anyone needs these wiring harnesses.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode