67 Camaro 396 Block Question!?!?!?!?!?! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Hey,

I was wondering is there any chance that an engine block have sat for 4 monthes before being put in a car? I was looking into buying this car and the engine date is, as far as I understand about 4 monthes before the car was built in 67. But, the numbers on the block match the car vin. And also on the cowl tag it shows that it should in fact be a 396. If anyone has any ideas please respond ASAP.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

4 months, I dont think so. Thats along wait. My block is only 2 wks. prior.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

well,

the tag reads:

10 d d
67 12347 NOR 27334
742-z r-r
e 2emgr 3l
rn 5y

and the engine code is:

T0605MY

If that helps any?

Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Also,

In case I hadn't told you yet, the VIN in the block matches that of the car. I think the car was built in October? 10 something? I believe the 4th week. Please respond asap please.

Thanks

p.s. Everything seems to fit except that built date seperation unless I did it wrong?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The first 396's didn't show up in camaros until March/April 1967. There is no way an October built Camaro had a big block since it was assembled in October of 66. 396's were a mid to late year introduction to the Camaro line. An 0605MY engine is June 5th 1967 not 66 so your engine is 8 months after your cars build date not 4 months before. MY is a 67 or 68 suffix only and there were no June of 66 MY blocks.

The body number is in the correct range for a 10D build date, The VIN should be somewhere in the 121000 to 125000 range. Since you didn't post it can't tell if the tags match up. According to your trim tag there is no engine option code (4 group) (unless that R is supposed to be a 4)so if the car is actually an 8 cylinder (need the VIN number to tell) it originally came with a 327. If the Tag really has a 4N code I would guess it's a restamp.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 11-13-2000).]

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 07:09 AM
427L88

I cant comment on the numbers, but it is NOT unusual to have block dates 2-4 months prior to builds.

Also MOST IMPORTANTLY, I have had two individuals offer to stamp my vin # on my block for me. It a 70 L88 in a 67 Chevelle.

Yeah, that'll work.

Anyway, beware, unethical ice-holes all around.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Joel

Mark C, I think you wanted to say their were no high horse Camaros until around the end of the year.I have a 67 big block that has a 01/67 date.Also have had cars several weeks from the build date.I saw a 69 Z/28 in WI one time that had the engine stampted after the car build date and the precto plate matched.Is this a car that maby had engine trouble on the line or somthing?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 02:22 PM
Banned

Question

427L88,

What do you think of me getting a "correct" '66/'67 350 block and stamping it since I'm the original buyer. Then building a correct engine for my car. AND I screwed up the original.

Come back, please!!! pdq67

Heck, I still got the heads and exhaust manifolds. And I bet I could find my waterpump some where if I looked hard enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode