urgent.....350 or 327??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 00, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
will

Question

ok heres the deal i have 2 friends that have engines that they r willing to let me have. one is a 350 (just the block) for free also has steel crank, the other has a 327 rated at 365hp from a 67 vette. the 327 has matching double hump heads w/ a steel crank for $1000. they both need to be worked on...rebuilt. the 327 comes w/ a top end rebuild kit. but other than that they r both short block. so my question is which one???????????? i know the 327 revs quicker but i dont know which to get. its goin into a 82 z28. i plan on making a pretty nasty street car out of it. thanx for ANY information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 00, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech

My choice would definitely be the 350. I would then make a stroker motor out of it. You couldn't use that nice crank for this purpose though. The 350 block has much more power potential if you are in that type of thing.

The 327 does have a lot of nostalgia surrounding it but again I would go for the 350.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 00, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech

A 327/365 really gets my attention, but the better engine for today would be the 350 I'd think. Especially with a steel crank. Very rare.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 00, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech

I think the highest rated 327 in a 67 Vette was 350 horsepower, so the information you have been given is faulty. Get the engine that has the least overbore and the crank that is closest to standard. Have you checked the cranks to see if they actually are forged? Remember never believe what you have been told, always check for yourself.

Steve R.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 00, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech

Steve is correct,

365HP (Holley carbed) 327's were available only in 64 & 65 but not in 66 or 67. The highest HP 327 was fuel injected (rated at 375HP) and was also only available in 64 and 65.

In 66, 67, & 68 (the last year the 327 was offered in the vette), the HIGHEST HP rated 327 was 350HP (fuel injected 327's were not available these years).

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 07-02-2000).]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 00, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

I'd go with the 350. "Nasty STREET machine" means to me you won't be sustaining high RPMs for any length of time. And the fact is you can build "about" the same Horsepower with either engine, but your torque potential is greater with the longer stroke 350. Torque gets you moving easier in the stop & starts on the street and it gets you down the Dragstip quicker. Plus the large journals make for a stronger bottom end (even if it's just a 2 bolt main) and if that's not enough...face it there are just more parts out there to build a 350...so why make it hard on yourself living with the nostalgia. Just MY opinion...everyone's entitled to one.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 00, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech

Every 327 is out of a ' Vette, every Muncie is a Rock crusher, every 12 bolt is a posi, every W block is a 409, the list goes on and on!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 00, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech

I'd build the 350 with steel cranker.
Doug> LOL That's about right too!!

That's why I left the code (LQ) and VIN #9S7007004 on my '69 Vette 427 engine that's going into the '68 L78.
I opted for a Dana 60, and it is a 3.73 posi.
Oh, I didn't go the "Rockcrusher" route. I have a B/W ST-10 Nodular cased tranny. I'll call it a "Bonecrusher" trans.,a "twin-grip" axle & a "Turbo-Jet L88 427". Heehee
Rick
'66 Yenko
'68 SS 427 (my story will be that the car was taken to Yenkos in '69 and Don had a totalled new Vette sittin there. He transformed my car into a '68 Yenko in '69. Ummmm. I read where you could get anything done for money. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode