IROC Steering Column Trouble - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Hello All,

I have a problem with my 1988 IROC-Z’s steering column. The unit is a tilt type and it wobbles all over the place. A friend told me that he heard that you need a special wrench to disassemble the unit. Is this true? Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the fix?

------------------
Z28 Mark
1973 Z28
1988 IROC-Z
Club:
Camaros Limited- Nor Cal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 07:12 PM

i had the same thing happen to me but i never got around to fixing it and it locked up on me and i almost went in to the other lane. so i just went at got a new one from the junk yard for $70, but i have herd you can take them apart and fix it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 02:24 PM

To fix your colum is no big deal. You have to pull all the guts out of the top the colum then tighten 3 torx head bolts. Chiltons calls for 2.5 hrs but it can be done a hole lot faster. You do need a pivot pin puller Snap On has them for about $25.00. Or spend the money and take it to a shop depending on the labor rate you are only looking at $100.00 tops

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Cool

Thanks. It doesn't sound too bad. I think I'll give it a try. Is a pivit puller like a gear puller?

[This message has been edited by Z28 Mark (edited 01-15-2001).]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 02:37 PM

No its a little tool for the cost. you will laugh when you see it. you can hold it in you closed fist.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 03:37 AM
Senior Tech

My 91 F-bird just had the same issue, although it caused my VAT sensor to go out and thus my ignition switch blew, (if you dont have computer coded chips in the key your fine)

but my tilt problem was a Pin that came out, I opted to have the dealer do it , they didnt use the little pivot tool, they used Epoxy from Pep boys.

that pin isnt going anywhere now and my steering works better that it did when it was new , well sorta.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 05:33 AM
Tech Team

You will need a steering wheel remover,lockplate remover,pivot pin remover,Torx socket and assorted handtools. It is rather involved and requires patience. If you are unfamiliar with opening a column to this point be prepared. I made a t-handle tool and groung the shaft to a square shape to remove the tilt spring retainer so the upper half of the column would'nt popout at me also.......

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"
Chevytalk Moderator
GMforums Moderator
"Jungle"Jim
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

So what everybody is basically saying is that there is a pin that goes through a knuckle (or pivot point) on a plate and that it’s backing out or is worn in some spot and this plate may also need to be tightened down?

I went to Snap On.Com and I couldn’t get in to there web site (I’m not a registered customer) Can this tool be purchased from most decent tool distributors?

I have LOTS of Epoxy….
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 05:58 AM
David Pozzi

Mark,
the lower half and upper half of the column have a protrusion on the left and right sides. These protrusions each have a hole in them to pivot on. The holes are around 1/4" to 5/16" diamiter and only 3/4" long or so.
The two pins have a hole tapped in the center of them so they can be pulled out.

I made a "puller" out of a long screw or stud, and a spacer made out of a 1" long piece of 1/2" ID tubing with bigger ID than the pin.
I screwed the screw into the pin, placed the spacer over it, placed a washer over the screw, and placed a nut on the cut off outer end of the screw.
I then tighten the nut to pull the pin out.

It's quite a job to get in there to do it the first time. It requires patience.

Either the pins are loose or I've heard there are three screws behind this area that come loose.
Probably this comes from using the steering wheel to pull yourself out of the seat.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks David. This is starting to sound complicated… But I still think I will give it a try. So it sounds like I will have to pull these “pins” and then get to the 3 screws that may also be loose. I was looking at the repair manual and all that it talks about is the dis-assembly of the steering column, but nothing about the problem at hand.
Thanks everybody, this is a great place to swap information about specific subjects that come up dealing with Camaro’s.
Mark (a.k.a Z28 Mark)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 15, 03:38 PM
inurdrms

Re: IROC Steering Column Trouble

my 1988 camaro iroc 5.7 dual injected did not pass inspection the mechanic said i needed the pin that goes into the strut from the steering. what is this piece please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode