TPI into a 68 Camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 01, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys, Im lookin at swapping in a small block efi into the old cam and getting rid of the big block. I have tabs on an 88 350 tuned port motor, and tabs on a 99 SLP totaled firehawk for donors. Has anyone done this swap? Computer sensors everything? Gonna go with either the 700r4 or the 6speed. Anything to watch out for? Anyone ever ran a stroker kit(383) with the tuned port? Im all ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 01, 10:29 AM
Tech Team

Talking

Hey... a possibly-soon-to-be TPIer,

I am currently working on 68 RS Coupe and am installing an 89 TPI 350 w/ 700r4 (out of a Firebird GTA). Rather than use my hard earned $$$ on an afermarket harness, I'm using the donor's harness. I'm also using the donors lighting and dash harness. The reason for this is because the 68's lighting harness needed replacing anyway.

For the dash I'm using the electronic speedo and tach from the donor grafted to the 68 speedo pod. I also collected various gauges that would work with the donor harness and made my own console gauge set that fit into the stock gauge pod. The gauge face came from a (are you ready for this) 97 Chevy pickup gauge cluster.

I converted all the steering column controls to the 68 dash: ignition, headlight dimmer switch, and wipers (actually I wired up the stock motor and switch using the donor's bulkhead connector). The advantage of using the donor's harness is I can easily use all the donors options: cruise control, courtesy lighting, power door locks, power trunk pop. Another advantage is I can use the donor's wiring diagram for future changes/repairs.

It also makes wiring the motor a snap since everything is already there. Of course you need to be handy with a soldering iron and heat shrink to make trouble free connections. Some wires have to be lengthened, some shortened, others converted to the 68 connectors. It just takes a lot of patience if you want it done correctly.

I've completed the gauge pod, console cluster and dash wiring. If your interested in seeing pictures of the gauge and speedo pods, send me a note and I e-mail them to you.

Another useful site is: http//www.thirdgen.org

Hope this helps,
Roy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 01, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech

1bad..
Don't expect an outstanding level of performance from a TPI motor. They are very nice for a driver and mild hop up. But, if you want significant performance potential, (suspect that you do since you mention 383) the stock tpi is not the way to go. They run out of gas at about 5000 rpm. An aftermarket EFI has much more potential.
The 99 motor is a far better base for performance and I'm sure will have far fewer miles on it. Do a search for LS1 in engine & drivetrain or performance forums.
Whichever way you decide, do a search. There is lots of info on both swaps.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
68 Camaro
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode