Valve Covers - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Just got a free pair of Mickey Tom son valve covers. These are aluminum. They need to be
restored. Someone told me to bead blast them. Will this work or should I use paint remover on
them? I want to take all the paint off and repaint and polish out the none painted parts. Anyone
have any suggestions. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I think paint remover would be best. Blasting may cause you to have to do a lot more polishing.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 09:58 PM
Senior Tech

Be carefull with some of the removers, some tarnish or stain the metal. I have used some that have tarnished it so bad that I had to blast afterwards to remove it.

I think you have to use a different kind of media for aluminum in blasting. I made this mistake too, and ended up sanding them by hand with a fine sandpaper.Good luck

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 11:21 PM

If you are determined to blast them, use baking soda if you have the equipment. If you don't, pay someone that has the equipment. It won't cost a huge amount and you will thank yourself for not using another medium.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Bead blasting is basically a petroleum by-product and will leave an oily type film that has to be cleaned off. I would recommend another process.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Have them dipped at a radiator shop. The solvents they use at most engine shops will eat up aluminum. The stuff at radiator shops will eat the paint off without damaging the metal.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 06:04 AM
Tech Team

I believe the water soluable paint removing gels are safe for soft metals. But PLEASE read the caution labels. Some will tell you not to use on aluminum. Also check for an 800 number on the can when youre at the store. write it down and call if you have questions about what its safe to use on.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Ok guys, hear is what I found out. On may way to my wife's job to take her out to lunch I seen a
business that said aluminum Polishing. I stopped and asked what I could use to strip the valve
covers. They said to use Air Craft Stripper. Makes sence since most airplanes are made from
Aluminum. He showed me a can of it. Said it will cost about 12$$ a can. Then on the aluminum
that I want to shine just use 1000 grit then polish. Thanks for all the comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode