How to switch to synthetic oil?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Is there a certain way to switch from regular motor oil to synthetic oil?? Cleaning out the old, etc....

------------------
Camaro2Rn Nebraska
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 04:39 PM
David Pozzi

I never heard of any.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 04:42 PM

It's the same method used to change out the old air in your tires every Spring. Release/drain all the old stuff and fill it up with new and fresher stuff. The molecular structure of synthetic oil is more dense, thus wreaking havoc on oil pan gasket. In short, E=mc2

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 04:51 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jcrossram:
It's the same method used to change out the old air in your tires every Spring. Release/drain all the old stuff and fill it up with new and fresher stuff. The molecular structure of synthetic oil is more dense, thus wreaking havoc on oil pan gasket. In short, E=mc2<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The question was rather straight forward! Why can't the answer be the same?

When I first heard of using syn lube I remember garages flushing the block as the syn wouldn't mix. Also remember kits being sold to flush things out before adding the syn oil. I don't think any of the manufactures require anything but draining and filling these days...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Amsoil has a engine flush that is added to your oil. You run the engine with the flush and old oil for 15 minutes and drain it. Then add the Amsoil synthetic oil. The flush is not to get out the old oil, but to remove the sludge caused by the old oil. The Amsoil will loosen up the sludge and it will get in the filter if you don't flush it out first.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech

Do you all use the amsoil stuff? Do you also change it less frequently like they say the high performance stuff can be 'supposedly'?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 07:50 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Thanks big g.h.,

That's what I think I was remembering. Amsoil's been around a long time. My friend's shop distributes it. He runs it in all his cars and does extend it's use but still changes the filter about every 3k miles.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 02:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Just change it as you would for any oil change. I've changed 100,000 mile cars with no ill effects. If you have sludge concerns, do a filter change soon after the change over and sacrifice a quart.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I run it in all of my vehicles for a year . I don't put 25,000 miles on mine in a year. My direct jobber had a Dodge truck with the Cummins turbo engine in it. He put over 190,000 miles on his OIL, not the engine, but the oil. He used the bypass filter system and had the oil analized every 25,000 miles and when he traded the truck for a new one the lab analysis said his oil was still better than brand new Rotella T.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech

the flush is a good idea, but rember on a motor with over ohhh about 50,000 mile's it is wiser to use a synth blend.

the longer a motor is run on regular dyno juice the less it will like full synth. mainly the seal's and stuff.

also if you go full synth for a decent amount of time it is not a good idea to go back to regular oil. the motor will not like it! and start to fail. i have read this from various oil company training stuff.

a synth blend will give you most of the benifit's of full synth except the extended chage time. and is about half the cost of full synth.

the 2 best thing's about full synth is the cling factor, it like's to cling to the bearing's better. and the heat factor, it can withstand higher heat better.

power gain's are debatable i have heard it go both way's. but if you have a low milage motor, i would recomend under 20,000 mile's, it is a good idea because ware is just about eliminated with full synth. i have seen motor's go in excess of 300,000 mile's on full synth. full sunth was put in after motor break-in.

in a over the road truck, class diesel tractor, the use of full synth basicaly make's the motor last forever. this is from test's done by Cummins, detrote diesel, and cat. for a owner operator it is a god send, for the part's maker's well they hate it!LOL

a flush is not needed on a very low milage, under 10,000 mile's, or a new freshly broke in motor.

hey big gear head do you agree with this? you are a dist. for amsoil, the best IMHO of all the synth maker's.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I agree with most of it. I have changed several high mileage engines over to Amsoil with no problems. Amsoil has additives that cause the seals to swell so you don't have the leakage problems that use to be assosiated with synthetics. You are right about not flushing low mileage engines. Most of my customers have seen a 10% increase in fuel mileage so that tells me that friction has been reduced.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
William

First off make sure what you buy is really synthetic.

Car & Driver did an editorial recently on how oil companies are now permitted to call reformulated petro-based oil "synthetic" and charge accordingly.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

The back of Castrol synthetic states "compatible with all conventional motor oils." Wouldn't this mean that it will mix and function in the presence of conventional oils? I've never flushed, just drained the old (real good) and filled with the new.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

First of all Castro Syntec is not realy synthetic oil. Read William's post just above yours. This is one of those that is not realy full synthetic. To answer your question, yes it will work with petrolium oil as will all other synthetics that I know of.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 02:30 AM
Senior Tech

I think you better check out KaleCo for their motor oil buypass kit.
http://www.kalecoauto.com/

they have all the parts you need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode