Cross-Ram Intake - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I've enjoyed reading information here and other places concerning the cross-ram intake on our beloved early camaros. I am curious if anyone knows of any aftermarket maufacturers that make something that is similiar. I am getting things around to redo my 69 camaro. It is missing to many parts for a full restoration. So I am looking to do some modifications that are pleasing to purists and innovative at the same time. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 00, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Nobody makes them any more. Edelbrock and Offenhauser made cross rams up til the late 80's, but not any more. Of the two the Edelbrock STR-10 was not a very faithful copy of the GM manifold. Where the Offenhauser is very similar to the GM manifold, with the exeption of the carb operating linkages which was setup to use 2 forward facing holley carbs. The GM used one forward and one rearward facing carb.

See the info on this page:
http://www.camaros.org/crossram.shtml

I've got an old Offenhauser intake and linkage in my garage (actually the one on the CRG page) that I could be convinced to part with for the right price

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 08:49 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Talking

The latest PAW catalog shows the Offenhauser manifold with two or maybe three tops available. I know one top is duel carb and one for a single Dominator carb.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 09:16 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Talking

PAW advertises the Offenhauser manifold for sale in its latest catalog!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I stand corrected then. Haven't seen a new Offenhauser manifold for quite a while, thought they went under.

I don't have a PAW catalog and Offenhauser doesn't have a website (unless they are part of another company now). Is it a model 5893? For my own info, how much does PAW list the manifold for? Do they list the prices for the other tops, single 4 bbl and 3 - 2 bbls?

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

What you could do is get the Offenhauser with the dual quad top which is almost identical to the GM. Then, grind off the "Offenhauser" and the 2 linkage tabs that stick up. Get the manifold reskinned and it would look very similar to the GM one, only it wouldn't have the casting #'s or snowflake on it. You would still need 2 Holley double pumpers and the GM style linkage and air cleaner which would still cost some $$$. There's really no inexpensive way to do it though.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

Yes, the Offy is still #5893 for the base. Price-237.95. Dual quad top-$112.95. Single quad top-$107.95. THREE Weber top!-$130.95. I also have been thinking about going to the Offy cross-ram. I ran an Edelbrock cross-ram on a '65 Barracuda Formula S car I owned many years ago. I started with the dual Quad and later put a single four on it. It was a blast either way. This was back in 1976 and '77. I loved the crossram on that mopar so I have allways wanted one on my Camaro. Offy seems to be the most reasonably priced and versatile.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech

I have a Edelbrock one, And think it looks alot like one. Its a SY1, I emailed Edel. and they said that it was a crossram designed by Smokey Yunik. I emailed them cause I was hoping to get the dual carb setup top plate. Mine has the single top.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech

Oh yea, does anyone know if the cross ram off a 85 or 6 can be converted to carb setup. I spotted one in the junkyard yesterday, and it has dual throttle bodies on it.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 04:18 PM
Banned

Smile

Hey Corn,

How the heck are you??

I don't think the ports are big enough in the "cease-fire" crossram manifold that you are asking about. I read someplace that they were about half sized and would really choke an engine down. pdq67

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 05:23 PM
David Pozzi

I talked to Offy a fiew months ago and the manifolds can be ordered directly from them but a better price is available from Summit.
Summit can order them, they are not listed in their catalog.
The manifolds are sold separately as base and top components.
A gasket comes with the base and one with the top.
The weber top is not available anymore.

He said most guys use smaller carbs with vaccum secondaries on the street.
Fuel distribution is a problem on these type manifolds.
The Offy appears to be the same manifold as the GM one, but with a new top that says Offenhauser on it and a couple of bolts are moved on the top to allow removal of the top without having to remove the carbs first.
There are top attachment bolts postitioned under the float bowls on the GM top.
The Offy base seems identical in every way to the GM manifold, other than the missing snowflake for the winters foundry, the top bolt pattern, the GM part numbers.
It does have the fuel distribution dams cast inside identical to the GM casting.
I have an extra single four top for the Offy manifold, if anyone needs one.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Hey CORNHOLIO, here's a link to the crossfire manifold with dual 4 top that was just on Ebay. The crossfire manifold was available on 82-83 Camaros and Corvettes. I'm not sure who makes the top to convert to dual 4 barrels. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...090047&r=0&t=0
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 00, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech

wow Jeff, thats a GM manifold too. HuH, I will have to get a photo of the one that I have.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech

I have a Wiend Cross Ram manifold that sets two four barrel carbs side by side. It is low profile and might even fit under a stock hood. I too would part with it for the right price.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech

Check E-bay
search for dual quad..
I've seen the Offy's there before
jk

[This message has been edited by 68ragtop (edited 11-14-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode