Rebuild saginaw or buy Muncie - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Im at a fork in the road. Im having problems with my saginaw. My 67 was origianly a 6 banger and it was transplanted with a 350 last year befor I bought it. The 350 rates about 350 HP or so. The saginaw is poping out of 3rd and is probably in need of a rebuild. I've already broke the spring on the clutch fork once and replaced that. It grinds when its in gear, clutch in and reved a bit as I think I broke the spring on the fork again ( or is this a different problem?)
Do I rebuild the saginaw, or step up and get a Munci?
And what estimations of price would I be looking at?

Thanks guys.. great board here. Just the car out of storage today and had a great time driving once again. ( I need to move someplace warm where I can drive year round)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

For you cost question: I can tell you that I just recently bought a 1974 M20 for $250 and added a rebuild kit for $175 and have a very nice Muncie for little over 400 bucks after rebuilding it. I will also say I recently sold a 1967 M20 for $550 so the prices definitely vary. I happened upon the $250 model by asking at local speedshop and one of the employees said his father had a few available-I found it to be sitting idle for many years-seemed like a pretty good deal.

I've never heard of Saginaws being a very good transmission-shifting or strength and since you have to spend money either way I would look for a Muncie...or stick in a Tremec!

------------------
1969 Nova SS 350
406/M20/3.55
13.82 at 105
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 05:26 AM

Tremec are nice but 3rd gear is weak on them. The new HD one is better. Muncie is cheaper way to go.

69 RS Z/28 96 IAMPLA SS

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

I've seen the prices of the TREMEC but it's a bit pricy. Too much else to do on the car that I need the $ for..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 01:29 PM
Tech Team

I'll confess to one part that is not stock on my car, the transmission. I'm quite sure that the Saginaw let go early in the car's life, because the orginal owner replaced it with at '68 Borg Warner T-10D. It is an aluminum cased transmission. It's very strong, but the linkage is a little bit of a chore. I'm just saying this because T-10s bolt up to Chevy's too (it was designed for the '57 Vette). It may be another option for you to look into.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 03:10 PM
David Pozzi

Get the muncie.
there are people looking for Saginaws to complete proper restorations, so you can probably sell it.
Those things were poor even when new!
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech

Muncie would be a good transmission, but I would think about the T-10 also. If you ever need parts, they are readily available for the T-10's.

Richmond Gear now builds them new, where with the Muncie you can spend as much as $300 a gear.

Let me know either way you go, I have both and am going to get them out of my shed (when I find some time) and sell them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode