'69 PS Box - Get the grinder out? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 01, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

My headers in my big block '69 won't seat because they're resting on the PS box. Here's my question:

The PS Box has two raised "humps" (for lack of a better descriptive term) that run lengthwise down the passenger side of the unit. This is what the header is hitting and not allowing it to seat properly. Is this casting flash (from the mold) and can I grind it down to be the same height as the surrounding case? Or will I strike PS fluid and start cussin'? I've never had the unit apart to look inside so I don't know - anyone have any experience with this?

tia - Jon

------------------
'69 Restification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 01, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech

I am not sure which humps you are talking about but don't grind on the steering box. Do have the correct frame and motor mounts and especially the correct or modified crossmember. If you don't get them before you go any farther.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 01, 07:33 PM
David Pozzi

I have some motor mount info on my page. Click on my first gen suspension page below, then find my engine page and click there.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 01, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Oger - which Hooker Super Comps did you get that fit real well? The 1 7/8" (PN 2111), 2" (PN 2205), or the 2 1/8" (PN 2285)? Hooker says the Comps are supposed to fit and are much more reasonably priced but I haven't heard anyone say they've had luck with these, just the Super Comps.

I tried most of today to try and get those dang headers to fit - first I shimmed up the driver's motor mount about a 1/4" which fixed the tube hitting the PS box up top but then the header hit the pitman arm at the bottom - no way I could have made left turns.

I got the frame mounts for a '68 big block (even though I have a '69) from CInd. and the poly motor mounts which measure the correct 1 3/4" from mount hole to block surface. I thought you could use any '67 to '69 frame and motor mounts for a 1st gen. as long as you stayed within the same year but maybe you can't. I'd return the frame mounts (I've heard you say they're incorrect before) but it's been a while plus I had to elongate the frame mount holes because they didn't line up properly in the first place, thus I "damaged" the mounts and can't return them. I could really get off on a rant here about quality of resto parts but I'll restrain myself.

David, great page - I've been there before. The only other info I'd love to have but haven't been able to find is what the exact measurement of the correct frame mounts are. Then I could see how far mine are off and determine whether I could fix them. I really hate having to get new frame mounts, motor mounts, and headers since I already purchased this stuff and it's not returnable any more (I've never been able to test fit headers and not scratch them up to the point where the parts places won't take them back) but it looks like I may have to.

Thanks for your help
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile

I just wanted to add that my original PS box did not have the Humps that you are speaking of, but my AGR, and other newer boxes do.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

TJS69 - hmmm...I wonder if it's not the original box? Anyone know if there's somewhere I can decode the part number?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech

68 and 69 frame mounts are not the same if you use 68 you must use everything including the short waterpump and acc. mounts. Make sure that you redrill the crossmember to shift the trans to the pass side that seems to help as much as anything and is not hard to do. When the car gets out of the body shop I will measure the frame mounts they are the correct 69s

[This message has been edited by oger (edited 08-06-2001).]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech
Billy

Cool

Jon I had the same problem as you. I put a big block in a small block car I had bought, and the first thing that I ran into was the header and the steering box. I used small block frame mounts with moroso short solid mounts. The power steering hit the header so since I would not be driving the car very much I used a manual gear box. One thing that I was told would not work was the clutch linkage, but since I used the small block mounts the clutch linkage worked off the small block set up. The car has been up and running for a month now and is a BLAST to drive. This is my first big block car but the swap was pretty painless.

------------------
'68 with a 355 and dart pro1 heads, XE284 comp cam, air-gap intake, th350 w/3000 stall and 3.73 gears.
'69 SS with a 427 with edelbrock alum heads, comp cam, performer rpm intake, 750 street dominator carb with a muncie 4-speed and 4.11 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode