Using a fuel tank from a '95 in my '72? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Hello, all. Yet another strange post from myself. I put an LT-1 and 4L60E from a '95 Z28 in my '72 Camaro and I am considering trying to use the fuel tank from the '95 as well in trying to keep the original fuel delivery system. Has anyone out there done this before? Anyone know how difficult it might be to try to hang it as close to normal as can be, as opposed to cutting a slot in the trunk and mounting it that way? I've seen it done this way in the Hotchkis F-71 custom '71 Camaro. They used a '99 LS1 out a 'Vette and they used the 'Vette's fuel tank, mounted inside the trunk. They did that to keep the fuel delivery system stock and simple (sort of simple, anyway). Anyway, can anyone help me? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

There was a black '69 convertible (I think-definitely first gen though)featured in one of the mags within the last year that had a drivetrain transplanted from a late model Caprice. The fuel tank was transferred over as well. I don't know the dimensions of the Caprice tank, but it holds 23 gal. according to the owner's manual for my Caprice wagon. It also has the filler neck in the middle rear, behind the license plate -I think! (the wagon is on the side) This is something I was planning on checking further into myself-just haven't had a chance yet. If you check into it, please let me know what you find out. Hope this helps a little.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

[This message has been edited by bretcopsey (edited 03-21-2001).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Hey, Bret. Thanks for the info. So you say the late model Caprice/Impala bodies had their fuel fillers in the licensce plates like the old Camaros did? That might be a simpler thing to do then. Maybe I can track down one of those fuel cells on eBay or something. Thanks again.

James

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

James, I THINK they have the filler neck behind the license plate. My '86 Caprice Sedan did. I don't know that the later models do for certain, haven't had a chance to check into it. There are plenty on the road, I just never think to look for a filler door on the rear quarter!

I would definitely suggest checking a junk yard or something first so that you know for sure that it will work. Also, measure it to see if it will fit between the frame rails and not hang down too low.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 03:30 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Mid 80's Monte Carlos also had a tank with the filler coming from the rear just like the camaro. They were also available with fuel injection. I have one of those tanks in storage, and from memory, I think it is similar to the camaro. I'll try to get over there this weekend to compare and let everyone know.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 04:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

My 95 LT1 Caprice has the filler neck behind the license plate.

IT is also plastic.

------------------
ratchetmaster
1968 RS SS 350
1968 RS pro street project
1972 454 ElCamino
1999 Firebird WS-6 T/A
moderator http://www.gmforums.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

The tank is plastic huh? Is the filler neck steel and bolted on in some way, or is it plastic also? Or can you even tell? If you get a chance, can you get some measurements? Approximate length, width and height? I want to see if it will fit between the rear frame rails of my '68 without modifications. Appreciate you clearing it up about the filler neck location.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech

I think that cars that have plastic fuel tanks (most new cars nowadays) have metal fuel necks that are attached via a short rubber coupling hose to the plastic tank. At least that's the way it is on my parents' 94 Bonneville SSE.

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Bret

Just another thought on this. Buick made a "Roadmaster" that was similar to the Caprice. It may have the same fuel tank if you're looking through the boneyards. I saw one of those on the road today, no filler door on either rear quarter, so I assume behind the plate filler on this one too.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode