Fiberglass one piece flip frontend help - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I am gettin ready to do one of these on my 68 camaro. I want to do it right the first time Are their any websites I should check out. Where should I buy this. thanks for the info...Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Try this site. http://www.usbody.com/default.htm

------------------

Racer#00

Plain Jane 67
76 Trans Am Stock Car
74 Z28 (Basket case)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 09:18 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
let us know how it turns out, i was lookig at a 5pc. front end kit.but not too sure on the longivity of a glass front on the street.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 10:18 AM
Team Member
John

Real chore to get fits right, surface is poor, will stress-crack with normal street use due to solid mounting, etc. Great for race cars, not too swift for street use (unless you're not concerned too much about appearance or fit/finish). They're hand-laid and very rough surface on the inside.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Thanks alot every one Ill check out the sites and let you know whats goin on with the install/ fit finish etc. Im not real concerned with the fit and finish..After all it is a race car, streetable, But a little mis fit in the fiberglass front is not a big deal especially when I flip that baby to work on the engine...Cant wait.... its alot better than stripping my whole paint checked rusty front end to bare matal anyway. I would like more sites to check out if anybody knows any more please let me know...Keith

------------------
Its spelled camaro..... CAMARO..see, no e in camaro... what the hell is a camero anyway Camaro: french for friend
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 03:57 AM
Senior Tech

Keith
On the race car I helped build and run a couple of years ago we installed a glass frontcap with a lift off hood. Much easier to pull just the hood off between rounds than the entire frontcap. It was stronger as well, with none of the cracking I've seen on typical 1 piece frontcaps. The extra bracing and Dzus fasteners added maybe 5 or 6 pounds.

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88
69 Firebird 400 ragtop
71 Firebird 350
00 Standard Trails 250
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 05:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Check out the red 68 in my pics. The only parts metal on this car are the roof, tailight panel and floor. The rest of car is glass. The front clip is 1 piece with removable hood. The front clip slides off forward instead of tilting. Kinda what you're looking for? I have more and better pics of glass parts if you want to see I can E-mail you.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

[This message has been edited by stevo camaro (edited 03-21-2001).]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Thanks for the picts! that scoop is a little too much on that red 68 for me at least... The front end I am hopeing to find would have the cowl on it..I wont be swayed as far as not going full tilt i am comitted to the full tilt front. I just hope I can find a complete high Quality kit with the cowl thats what I want thanx again keep the picts coming i owe you one....Keith My new improved sig... hope its not dumb or too long!!..

------------------
68 camaro 350, 30 over, 10 1/4:1 forged TRW. 500L/300D cam. Roller rockers Screw studs Guide plates 194 Camel humps. Molly Ringwalds. Weiand team G, Holley 700, Nitrous,Th 350,3500 stall, Bob Barker shift kit, Manual valve body, 456 gear. 5 gallon fuel cell, battery, & nitrous in trunk. 90/10 shocks multileaf springs Quik ET [email protected] 108 mph (nitrous off) owned since 1984 I have 3 other camaros '67 '94 Z '00 ss the 67 was the first camaro I ever rode in previously owned by my brother restored by me.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 03:51 PM
Tech Team

looks like im going with the fiberglass front clip on my '85 now. some jerk pulled out in front of me less than an hour ago, my front clip is smoked. im going to take pictures as i go, maybee it will help someone else.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 01, 08:30 AM
Tech Team

Question

pete, where can i find a front end like that? ive found a 1 piece, but so far i havent been able to find anything like what you described.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 02:52 AM
Senior Tech

If you are goin to use the car on the street is there anyway of using headlights with this type of front end? Im assuming that you can just cut out where the lights would go.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 07:17 AM
Tech Team

jvolk81, so far as ive seen you can install the factory headlights on them. i havent started my project yet so i cant really tell you how difficult it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode