327 vs 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

HEy Im lookin at a 67 rs that has a rebuilt 327 in it. My question is this, would i be better off dropping in a dynod 350 crate engine or just putting more performance parts on the 327. what are the pros and cons of each engine?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech

This is one of those personal choice questions. If you want to keep it stock....you have to stay with the 327. If the answer to that is that you don't care....I think you have to do a cost/benefit analysis of the two options. Key here might be what kind of shape is the 327? Probably less expensive to add performance components to the 327 that buy a new 350.....but if the 327 needs a total rebuild?....might be better to go with the 350.

I went with a new 383 in my 67. But if I would have been thinking a 300 hp engine I probably would have rebuilt the 327.

Mark M.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 07:54 AM
Tech Team

CaliCamaro, it only matters what you want to do with the car. A 327 can make good horsepower, but they are not torque motors. With the right transmission and rearend gearing, the car will fly. The rod/stroke ratio for the 327 is almost perfect. A 350 also can make good horsepower and even more torque than the 327, but I don't think I'd change it for a 350. The 327 will do just fine. Upgrade with perfomance mods on the 327 if you want to get more power out of it.
Otherwise think stroker motor
------------------
Ricky
68/RS on Blocks...

[This message has been edited by Ricks68RS (edited 07-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ricks68RS (edited 07-19-2001).]

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech

Question

Hey Ricky,

What do you have in mind when you say, "the right transmission and rearend gearing?"

I have a 327 what the prev owner did some work to. (Don't know the hp but feels/sounds like it has some power)
The problem is that it is hooked up to a PG and a 2.73 rear.

I'm thinking TH350 w/ shift kit, 2k stall and a 3.73 posi.

Toughts / comments???
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Go with the th350 a performer or rpm intake, 600 to 650 carb, and a mild 262 lift cam. You will love the difference.

Ya Baby!

------------------
Stock 67 327 RS
www.angelfire.com/ca7/goatjjcamarors/index.html
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 12:04 PM

I had a 327 in my camaro and absolutely loved it,I love how quickly a 327 will wrap up. It's easier to get horses out of a 350 than a 327 but if you want somewhere in the 300 to 400 horse range I would stick with the 327.Good Luck
Blake
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the input, now that I think about it more, it would definetely be smarter to upgrade the 327. Now another question, im still in the process of getting engine specifications, but like any other hot rodder, im already thinking of what i should put on. whats everyones thoughts on heads? this is a total daily driver, but i still want around 380-400hp. would i be better off getting sum cast iron heads as opposed to aluminum? and any suggestions as to a good choice. also, any 327 drivers now or past, please share your full setup.

thanks
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 03:02 PM

your using it as a daily driver so i dont understand your reasoning in having something 400hp in your car. i'd stick w/ the 327 if its in good shape, put some nice pistons, heads, intake and a nice carb on their and your fine. if you want that hot rod sound also put a semi-mild cam in it, some where in the mid .3's. i believe comp cams has blueprint muscle car cams, exactly like the ones they used to put in cars during the muscle car era. jegs has those cams. if you go too crazy you wont be able to drive the car on the street, so keep it moderate.
as for trans and rear gears, personally i'd go for a well made 700-r4, but thats only my opinion. the overdrive is nice, and it has a low first gear to get going quick, combine that w/ 3.73 gears and you'll be good, in my opinion at least.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 03:05 PM

you might wanna stick w/ that powerglide. powerglides are very upgradable transmissions. i know of a tricked out PG w/ a 2000hp motor bolted on it, just you can't bolt that kind if power to a stock PG, it needs a few parts swaps.
sorry forgot that t, you "can't" put that power behind a stock PG

[This message has been edited by chevybuilder67 (edited 07-19-2001).]
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
John

I too had a 327 car with a pg trans and a high (numerically low) 3.08 rear gear. I swapped in a TH350 and a 3.73 rear and it felt like it picked up 50 horses. I say go for it! However, if I had it to do over again (with those 3.73 gears anyway), I would have gone overdrive with the tranny. I have heard that the TH200-4r is a fairly easy swap, only a little harder than the TH350 due to crossmember changes and wiring.

PG transmissions can be built tough, but the stock piece probably doesn't have all of the heavy duty guts to last long behind that much power.

As far as heads, if you want the best, go with the AFR 180cc head. The runner size is good for a 327. Paired with a good cam you will make 375-400 horses and still be streetable. Good luck.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 03:56 PM
Tech Team

PG's have a higher 1st gear so they want alot of rear gear, I would go for the 700 or 200 that way you can cruise the freeway.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 05:49 PM
Tech Team

i would also use a 700r4/200r4 the low gear would make it a little quicker off the line and the overdrive would only help fuel mileage,(and make it faster on wide open throttle) its win win. PGs are fine but not too great for a daily driver, besides the high 1st gear on a PG wouldnt work too good with the short stroke of the 327, a 75 honda civic could beat you off the line with a 327/pg combo.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 01, 06:38 PM

i doubt that a 75 honda civic would beat a lown mower off the line, but your right about the PG. its probably not good for embarrasing ppl at lights.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 01, 09:28 AM
Tech Team

I have a 67 coupe 327 with the TH350 and I love it. I agree to fix up the 327. You are right where I'm at with mine. I'm trying to get around 375 - 400 hp....I estimate I'm around 325 - 340 hp right now. I think you will end up spending less money going this route, but I have seen some enticing 350 crate motors out there....

Leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
Edelbrock intake & carb, dynomax headers & exhaust, TH350
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 01, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the info, im goin with upgrading the 327 and was going to put in a 700r4 tranny and 2000rpm lock-up converter/3.73 gears already.

so sitting atop the engine will be a performer rpm manifold with an edelbrock 600cfm carb, still looking at various heads(where did u find those AFR's boodlefoof??) now here is my question, as for cams i have been looking @ the crane powermax cam/lifter kit and was thinking of going with the 272/284 @ 1500-5800rpm. would this be a good choice for the good idle, low to mid toqued daily driver?

and also for anyone who has swapped any tranny for a 700r4, how difficult was it? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode