Another dual exhaust question - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have done a search on this subject and still have some questions. I have a 68 conv. which I am going to put duals on. I will keep the factory exhaust manifolds (327 2bbl 210hp). I don't want to wake up the dead with noise, just want a mellow tone. I am leaning to flowmasters, but am confused about the different types, 2-chamber, 3-chamber, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation. I talked to 2 local shops. Both will put flowmasters or turbos (less $ for the turbos) and custom bend. They both have experience with classics. Is there anything I should be cautious about?
I'm just an old (58) man trying to have the fun I missed as a teen and young man!!

H-dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 03:49 AM
Senior Tech

If you want "less" noise, go with 3 chambers and not the 2 chambers. They are not to bad, if you run smaller pipes (2.5") and tail pipes, they are even better.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

I have the 2 1/2 flowmaster kit with 2 chamber mufflers and it has that real nice rumble to it. It's not supper loud, but it's not quiet. I have a B/B motor(502 crate) and when my hood it shut and people see the car (Lemans blue)with the Z-28 emblems but no stripes they say why didn't you put the stripes back on. It's not a Z car. People don't think there's a ZZ 502/502 under the hood. They think I have a built 302 under the hood. Just haven fun. I asked around alot before I bought my system. The 3 chamber flow will have less noise. My father is 60 and he always wants to take the car for a ride. He says it brings back alot of memories of the hot rod days. If you install the 2 chamber and don't like the rumble you can change them with the 3 chambers and sell the 2 chambers. You can put a post up in the for sale section. I just sold a 68 roof to Washington state. The roof is going cross country, I live in Conn.
Good luck with your decision. Bob

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I just talked to a muffler shop man, and he's recommending "Turbos". He did say flomasters are a heavier muffler, but they are louder. Also, being a convertible, he thinks 2" pipe is all he can get in. I'll take the car in this Friday and make a decision by then. Does anyone have any opinions on the Turbo muffler?

Thanks for your inputs.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 09:20 AM

If loud isnt youre thing,go with the 3 chamber flows-because theyre a better overall muffler.Also better quality.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 10:17 AM
Tech Team

Cool

H-DOG
I HAVE A68 327 AND I HAD THE TURBO BEFORE
IF YOU DONT WANT THE NOISE GO FOR IT
IT MAKES A NAISE SOUDN NOT TO LOUD

I HAVE THE 2 CHAMBERS NOW WITH THE 3" PIPE
AND ITS NOT LOUD FOR ME.
HOP THIS WOUL HELP

------------------
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 12:34 PM
Tech Team

Consider the flowmaster "delta flow" 40 series. they are quietr than regular flowmasters. Awesome sound. (mellow but sound great)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 01:05 PM

Hi H-Dog
When they are doing the dual exhaust, make sure they leave in the floor brace that goes across under the exhaust and driveshaft in the convertible. In the 67 I brought, they had got lazy and left the plate off so that it was easier to run the large twin pipes. Last weekend I have fixed this up and put a new plate in and I have to say that it is now a completely different car. What an improvement ! Before the plate was put back in, the car had this flexible/jelly sort of feeling when on rough roads or cornering. It is as solid as a rock with the plate back in. So make sure they do the job properly.
STM67
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 12:41 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Hey I have the turbo, they have a real nice sound to them & I'm also enjoying the thing's that I missed in my younger day's. (47) My 396 is quite enought so that the neighbors don't even know when I leave & when I'm crusing it is real quite till I deside to get on it then you can hear the big block coming to life! For me the Turbo's are perfect!

------------------
johnny
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 06:59 AM

Talking

I have a 67 convertible with 2 1/4 pipes to the 2 chamber flowmasters and 2 1/2 pipe mufflers back. It is not too loud and has a nice rumble. I did have to put 1/4 inch spacers in my cross brace to get the pipes to clear.

------------------
67 Camaro Convertible
97 Vette
Chevrolet powered boat 28ft Profile cat 502EFI Procharged with 13lbs boost radar 112 MPH
95 Z28 Convertible
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech

Hey H-Dog,

I have the turbo mufflers on my 69 convertible Firebird. It has a 400 and the sound is nice and mellow, not too loud. I have the Flowmasters on my Nova and while I like the sound of them better, they are definitely a lot louder.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 03:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Get the Turbos, you can always change if you don't like the sound. I know that some will say you can also change the Flowmasters, however if you do a search on Flowmasters you will find alot of people get tired of them and are replacing them. I have heard both and each one has a unique tone and Db level, but according to your post you are looking for a "mellow tone" and between the Flowmaster and Turbo the Turbo has that "mellow tone" you are looking for. So get mellow and enjoy that 68 drop top.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech
John

You might also want to consider the flowmaster crossflow muffler (80 series I believe). It fits in the stock location between the rear axle and fuel tank. Much, Much quiter than the dual two chambers I used to run, but still a very nice exhaust note.

------------------
69 Z/28
www.camarogenerations.com
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

Wink

I went with Dynomax Ultra Flow Race Series. They are throatier than 3-chamber flowmasters and quieter than the 2-chamber. They fit under a 1st Generation Camaro better than the 3-chamber Flowmasters which are a little on the long side. They sound awesome using my stock manifolds.

Good Luck!

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Hood.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 07:39 PM

Hey Dog,if you want to relive your younger years,wake up the neighbors,use headers with cherry bombs,I did(47),350,350hp,69SS. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H-dog:
I have done a search on this subject and still have some questions. I have a 68 conv. which I am going to put duals on. I will keep the factory exhaust manifolds (327 2bbl 210hp). I don't want to wake up the dead with noise, just want a mellow tone. I am leaning to flowmasters, but am confused about the different types, 2-chamber, 3-chamber, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation. I talked to 2 local shops. Both will put flowmasters or turbos (less $ for the turbos) and custom bend. They both have experience with classics. Is there anything I should be cautious about?
I'm just an old (58) man trying to have the fun I missed as a teen and young man!!

H-dog
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode