67 Conv - what's it worth? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

I recently purchased a very early production 67 Conv in need of restoration. It is a red on red V8 car with deluxe interior (good), automatic, power steering and a power top. The car needs the typical repairs on the floor pans, quarters, outer rear fenders, and a trunk filler panel. The car also needs outer rockers, and some windshield pillar work. Is this car worth restoring? I didn't pay more than I thought I could get parting it out. Any advise would be appreciated.

------------------
67 Conv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech

CPI Guide lists this: #4 car - $6200.00 #3 car - $10,300.00 #2 car - $17,000.00.

If the car needs as much metal work as described, it's pretty well below a #4 car. Rockers are tough on a convertible
How much is it worth fixing up to you?

[This message has been edited by Ed Ernst (edited 03-20-2001).]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 11:39 PM

Try costing it out. Add up the parts cost and then the labor, even if you are doing the labor yourself. When you're finished with that, add another 50% for things you can't see or forgot to include and then see where the cost are relative to what a nice car is worth. This might give you an idea of whether or not you want to go ahead with the project.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Not unless you were able to steal it, go buy one done. You will spend more fixing it up than what you can go get one turn key. If it needs parts that fits convertibles only, that stuff is good as gold.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech

In a town near me there is a 67 convertible for sale that is daily driver. I checked into it and the sheet metal is all good. It needs paint, interior and a top, but not real bad. It is not an SS, RS or Z28 and does not have the original engine. I think it was a 307. The guy wants about $7K for it. I thought he was nuts until I read this thread. Maybe he is not all that far off.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all that have replied.

I know that buying a car that is already done is a cheaper way to go. But we can't keep turning our backs on cars that can be saved. It is getting harder and harder to find cars regardless of condition. Parts catalogs seem to have all the parts needed to make even serious repairs, so someone must be taking on these type of projects.

Knowing that you can recoup your investment at the end of a restoration is important. Taking everyone's advise, my 67 conv will cost me more to restore than I can sell it for. But I know what I've got, and the way these cars are appreciating, may even break even someday!!! I just don't want to spend $20k on something that may only be worth $10k.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 09:25 AM
Senior Tech
John

I am sure I will spend more on my car than it will ever be worth, but I love the car and it is fun to work on. So really while I am paying for parts, I am also paying for my own pleasure. I don't plan on selling my car unless I am forced to. They will pry my '68 from my cold dead fingers!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 03:45 AM
Tech Team

Cool

I purchased a 67 convert last NOv. Being my first ever camaro excitement got the best of me. The car is in very good condition but the time and money I am spending on the car is starting to add up. Each time I drive it I find something else to replace. Outer door handles. The old ones worked fine but did not look good. Washer pump is on the way, new bumper, new rocker panel moldings, new taillight bezels. I could go on and on. It is probably just me but all things have to work perfectly and look perfect. If you car needs as much work as you say you would probably be better off buying one that is closer to finished. There is nothing like doing it yourself though.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 05:43 AM
Tech Team

I also am spending more than wath the car will problably be worth, or maybe brake even down the road some day (not on labour), but thise is a pass time and you dont get your money back either if you go fishing,play ball,go camping R.V. etc...

------------------
69 camaro conv. SS 396 th400. matching numbers, hugger orange, white top, white houndstooth int.(changed color combo)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 07:12 AM
Senior Tech

Catalkir- I think you hit the nail on the head with the second post. You have to weigh "saving and preserving" a great American car vs. your personal desire to not spend alot more than the car is worth. I can tell you that I am now about 80% of the way through a complete restoration of my '67 and I can't tell you how many sneaky little parts these cars need. And how quick the costs add up. With all the body work your car needs, you are looking at a huge bill to fix up this car unless you are a body man. I know one post above says to take your estimated costs and add 50%, my experience having done over a half dozen of these projects is to take your estimate and DOUBLE it. One last thought, again from experience, find a car not so rusty to restore. Rust in my opinion is the worst thing to tackle on an any car.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 07:59 AM

Another way to look at it:
Go buy a new camaro for $25-30 thousand drive it for three years and see that you can only sell it for 1/2 of what you paid.

Invest $15-20 thousand into a 1st generation camaro drive it nicely for 10 years and break even.

Sounds like a good deal to me. And you look better driving a 1st gen anyways

I'm a little concerned that if we all stop reconditioning these cars cause it's too expensive (and it is) we are not going to see them on the road anymore, just in some guys private collection.

Don
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 04:10 PM
hideaway

imo we all can't run out and buy a 18,000 car. we have to spent alittle at a time, and also we are saving something that they aren't making anymore.i myself have a 69 that i replaced the floorpans in, the trunk pan, both quarters and the panel that meets the windshield and also a door skin.and also the tail panel. this car had been sitting in a field since 78, i don't so much count my labor for the simple reason i love doing it.i couldn't imagine coming home everyday and doing nothing,except the usual things other people do. i have around 5000.00 in this car and that includes lots of new parts,i have figured another 3500 to finish it and that includes a 1000 for misc parts.the engine is in it and trans also.so i figure to be rolling for around 8500-9000. and it'll all be basically new.so come on guys let's save them all if we can.i have done all this in 11 months and am now ready to paint. almost forgot i went to look at a 68 the other day almost in the same shape my was when i started, oh well someone has to do it. SAVE THE CAMARO
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 04:24 PM

Exclamation

It's worth what the buyer is willing to give. Plain and simple. To you it was a good deal. Keep the Camaro you want be sorry!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 05:16 PM

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hideaway:
imo we all can't run out and buy a 18,000 car. we have to spent alittle at a time, and also we are saving something that they aren't making anymore.i myself have a 69 that i replaced the floorpans in, the trunk pan, both quarters and the panel that meets the windshield and also a door skin.and also the tail panel. this car had been sitting in a field since 78, i don't so much count my labor for the simple reason i love doing it.i couldn't imagine coming home everyday and doing nothing,except the usual things other people do. i have around 5000.00 in this car and that includes lots of new parts,i have figured another 3500 to finish it and that includes a 1000 for misc parts.the engine is in it and trans also.so i figure to be rolling for around 8500-9000. and it'll all be basically new.so come on guys let's save them all if we can.i have done all this in 11 months and am now ready to paint. almost forgot i went to look at a 68 the other day almost in the same shape my was when i started, oh well someone has to do it. SAVE THE CAMARO<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're right hideaway,their won't be any for our grand children to ride and enjoy. just the private collections. so for our sake and Gods lets save our old camaro's. Part of our history. THE BEST PART. NOTHING LIKE THE 60'S AND 70'S
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech

I'm with boodlefoof on this one! I love my car and already have more than what it's worth into it. When people ask me to sell her I say gimme $10K that's what I got in her and they walk away or say something like be reasonable how about $6500. But that was a year ago and I've done alot in a year (without spending alot). She's a numbers matching base coupe with EVERYTHING original sitting in the garage somewhere even the smog equipment since it's from calif and it needs rear 1/4's but you can't tell cause it's got alot of bondo and a decent paint job (I didn't do it I woulda done it right!).

Anyhow I saw a tragic site about a month ago, some guy was parting out a true '68 Z28, it made me sick! I was tempted to go have a look, but didn't have the money to buy it outright so I didn't why torture yourself right. I think it was a stripped down rolling chassis but still.

[This message has been edited by 67stock (edited 03-23-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode