Heater box swap - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 01, 09:17 PM
69 Man

I recently switched my 69 over to a big block from small block. I am getting ready to change the heater box and core. Is there anyone out there that has done this before, and what problems am I going to run into? I think I probably will have to end up taking off the fender to do this. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 01, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Thumbs down

Don't take off the fender! Drop the inner fender. You don't need to scratch the paint deal with shims or align the hood. The worst that could happen is you will have to grind off a few bolt heads if they are real rusty.

------------------
1969 Camaro 350 & 1969 Impala SS 427/ 4-speed (restored)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 01, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I'm wondering. Is it necessary to switch to a big block heater when changing from SB to BB? Or is it only to make things correct? The heater will still work either way won't it? Mine was converted by the previous owner; the heater core wasn't changed. It works OK. Is this a problem?
Thanks
Joe

------------------
69 SS396 Clone, B&M TH400, 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes
[email protected]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 06:29 AM
69 Man

Smile

Joe G: The heater core is in the wrong place on mine. I had to cut the tubes for the head to clear on mine. Also I am running 2 in priamary tube Hooker Headers. There is absolutely no clearance for the heater hoses. Also on yours, did you use the big block frame mounts, to correctly position the engine. Small block frame mounts work, but give you a different positioning of the engine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 08:14 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Question

I bought the car this way. I've measured the mounts and the passenger side is about 1/2 inch shorter than the driver side so I think they are correct bb mounts. My heater hose are by the fender; I assume this means it is a sb heater? No clearance problems anywhere!
Joe

------------------
69 SS396 Clone, B&M TH400, 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 02-06-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode